Terrain editor problems, painting materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain editor problems, painting materials

Hey, this is my first post here, so first off, howdy, and secondly, I am probably facing a really simple to solve problem so any help or advice would be much appreciated

I'm using the terrain editor to make a really early version of what my level is going to be, and I'm trying to paint multiple materials over it so there will be greenery, soil and rocks etc.

I'm using the included assets as I am yet to go create my own textures, this is so I can convey what I am trying to achieve in this very early build

Here is before, where I am adding a third material
    http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/udkprob2.jpg

And then this is what happens when I try to paint that third material:
    http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/udkprob1.jpg

Its probably something really simple to solve so any guidance would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

EDIT: Mixed the links up xD

You have to much layers, it ends at 16 or so, but if you have a material with a specular, normal, diffuse, thats already 3 of them. It's not the layers, it's the materials itself.

Comment

Ahhhh that makes sense Thanks alot, you've saved me a great deal of headaches haha cheers buddy!!!

Comment

Yep. That's actually a graphics card error. Not a UDK limitation. Shader model 3 cards can only support 16 texture samples per mesh. Terrain needs 3 of those samples for lightmaps and at least 1 more for the layer weight maps. If you use DX10 and a SM4 GPU, then you could use a great many more textures.

Comment

Tell that to my SM5 card that creates rainbows with only 5 materials.

Comment

It'll do that if you're running it with DX 9.0c, which is what UDK uses by default. It requires a directx version that's capable of pushing your card. There's beta support in UDK for DX10, which would theoretically allow you to use many more texture samples at the price of having DX10 a min requirement for running your game. It's still beta support, but you can enable it in your ini's.

Comment

Working...
            X