Non-dominant directional light movable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-dominant directional light movable?

I'm playing with a day/night cycle using the procsky material and sky sphere included in the UDK. I'm using a dominantdirectionallightmoveable actor for the sun, which works just fine. However, I am trying to add a 2nd light actor for the moon. If I use another dominant directional moveable light, I get weird lighting problems. So instead I tried using the directional light toggleable, with PHYS_interpolate. In the editor, it works well, matinee animations and all. But testing ingame does not. It seems that the toggleable directional light is immovable. Is there anyway I could use a 2nd, movable light in this setup?

We created a hard-coded system for this in a prototype ages ago - the answer was not to use dominant lights (well, you can use one, but our system included two suns, rather than a sun and a moon), but use regular directional lights.

If you want a moveable direction light, all you have to do is set bStatic to false and bMoveable to true in a subclass of the directional light class - it's that easy.

Comment

Nice!
      So, I can just extend a class to set bStatic and bMoveable? Should I just extend DirectionalLightToggleable.uc, or DirectionalLightComponent.uc?

Comment

You don't want to extend the toggleable version; toggle lights are static lights that bake two light maps. You want to extend the Directional Light class itself (whichever one appears in the editor).

Comment

Working...
        X