Foliage volumes and terrain deco???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foliage volumes and terrain deco???????

hey epic. what happened to foliage volumes and terrain deco? ive been using this extensively - is anything planned to replace them?

the lighting was a bit ****ty on foliagevolumes but **** guys they were really really useful (i was particularly enjoying that copying them now doesnt perform a hard crash on my whole system )

on the other hand, thanks a ton for the searchable class browser. just have to wait for apex and foliage replacements to use it now >.<

I have to agree, suddenly culling foliage volumes / terrain deco is a bit random if there's no new system in place to replace them. A lot of people rely on these techniques.

Comment

Best thing I can suggest is to use terrain mesh and the object paint tools to do all that, still quick but a lot more realistic, but will cost more poly's.

Comment

you guys tried this yet? I'm still downloading but I don't see any mentions about deco-layers being removed, only foliage.

Comment

Foliage volumes and terrain foliage were removed.
          I'm sure 'terrain foliage' must be referring to terrain deco.

Comment

ive found that if you start a project in one version of UDK its best to stick to that version.i couldnt get a lot of things in my july project to work in the sept version.so now i have two installs.one for each project.this way i get the best of both wordls.

Comment

we ofc pick and choose what to upgrade to, but this is a particularly disconcerting break-to-fix.

however, we signed the agreement when we installed udk - its a beta and things will change. would hate to have to stay on 09 for something that lame tho.

Comment

I'm sure 'terrain foliage' must be referring to terrain deco.
                I'd guess it's just the "terrain material" kind of foliage, not decolayers.

It is a bit of a shame, I hope the landscape system replacement for it will be good.

Comment

Originally Posted by ffejnosliw
                  I believe for the time being your choices would be to not migrate to the October release, use deco layers, or place static meshes manually or with static mesh mode.
                  there. I was sure the documentation meant foliage, which is different from deco

Comment

Epic removed the foliage functions simply because they were outdated and incompatible to the lightmass system... Most probably they'll replace it with something else so let's just wait for while.

Comment

Working...
                    X