Shadowy Splotches on Meshes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadowy Splotches on Meshes.

This is not AO I know for a fact but once my lightmass is built these shadowy spots on my meshes appear and they are becoming quite annoying and I don't have the slightest idea what is causing them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Any help appreciated.

Those look like mesh-smoothing issues to me. If I knew what kind of software you use for modeling I could provide more info regarding the solution to your problem.

Comment

Ahh yes.... I used blender for these meshes.

Comment

Show picture of lightmap uv layout, and texture skin. Is this vertex lit or lightmapped?

Until then i would guess that is lightmap resolution problem, either raise it, or move away from each other pieces in lightmap uv layout. But cannot be sure without that pic of uvs.

Also chamfer edges so there is no 90 deg one on corner. Like 1 size and 1 for segments wil do.

Edit: can be also because of weird smoothing groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
          Edit: can be also because of weird smoothing groups.
          I'm quite certain that, that's his problem.Unfortunately I've no idea about the mechanism Blender achieves mesh smoothing, but if it's similar to Max, smoothing groups is what you're looking for Pulse0o0.

Comment

Sadly it's not exactly the same it's just a smooth button (lol) though I am sure there is some hierarchy of smoothing groups in there somewhere (not entirely sure though) in any case thank you for your help I will check and see if this is indeed the problem. If needed I will use 3DS Max but I was hoping to avoid it.

Comment

Something there doesn't add up. You seem to only have one light coming from right to left based on the shadow on the ground. So the "splotchy shadows" can't be direct shadows since they are in the shadow side of the box. I don't think it's a smoothing group problem, not if the box is a 2tri per side kind of box. The shading would be much worse if smoothing groups are wrong and much more linear looking. You would in fact be able to make out some mesh geometry by the smoothing, if that was the case.

I'd like to see 2 more shots if you can post them, one with no lighting (full bright) and one with lighting only, so it's gray scale with lighting.

Because I can't make out exactly what's going on with the shading. Some of that seems impossible to cause by shading of a model of this kind and the shadow you point out to be a splotchy shadow makes absolutely no sense at all to be a shadow rendered by the engine based on this scenes lighting. From what I can tell in this shot anyway.

Comment

Figured out the problem as it turns out it was smoothing I just modified a few things with the meshes in the modeling program ( clicked the smooth button and reconverted to triangles) imported it and it seems fine now thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X