Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

As a project for University I want to make a prototype game map in UDK which will contain several different environments. Each of these environments will have different audio triggers with appropriate music assigned to them. The outcome will be that a player could navigate the environment and take in the audio.

I have very little experience in UDK as of yet but I do know some Maya. I have a couple of weeks to do this, is it possible? Could someone point me in the direction of some appropriate tutorials maybe?

This doesn't have to be very good by the way. I could even just remap the example maps in UDK. It just has to be a basic working prototype.

Can anyone help please?

Sorry this should probably be in the Support and Advice forum

Comment

I don't see why there would be any difficulty in doing this?

Comment

UDK pretty much allows that. Try to assign an object sound, the way that works is the closer you are the louder the sound the farther away the softer the sound. If you assign portions of a room with the sound or set the floor with that sound it should work

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem.

Remapping epics maps and passing them off as your own will be though

Comment

I'm thinking of doing something similar, the biggest problem is getting all the different sounds to sync.

Comment

What do you mean sync?

Comment

Anyone got any tutorials? I'm a total noob mind...

Comment

Originally posted by billysson View Post
                  I'm thinking of doing something similar, the biggest problem is getting all the different sounds to sync.
                  wouldn't have to if he makes each map separate and link them together in Kismet (goto "map2") when he reaches a certain area of the map.

Comment

I guess it depends. For example, if he has a map of 3 rooms, with each room (respectively) playing rock, bassanova, and minimal religious techno, then sync would not be an issue. Just drop a sound cue in each room and you could navigate and take in the sounds, kinda like a walk through a club.
                    On the other hand, if he has a map with 3 rooms, 1 playing an ambient melody, 1 in which he wants the music to crescendo and the 3rd with the same ambient melody and a heavy rhythm track, looped sound cues won't work, since there's no way of telling when the player will trigger it. So chances are nill that the player will trigger loop B on the 1st beat of loop A or C.
                    The OP was a little vague, so I am not really sure what they are going for...

Comment

Assigning music to objects sounds like a cool idea. I could make transitions pretty seamless that way and it sounds pretty simple. Is it?

Comment

you should probably use zones, giant bruses that cover the whole room and in unreal kismet you could play the song when you enter a certain zone

when you leave the zone you could make a fade out effect and when you enter a zone probably fade in so it sounds correct

Comment

If anyone's interested I've got a developer blog on this project. It's very noob friendly because it's how I get marks for uni!
                          Unreal Cinema Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X