Lightmass Importance Volumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmass Importance Volumes

I've looked in the UDN files but couldn't find any reference to this, so I'm asking here. Is it possible to use two LIVs in a streaming level setup? What I am doing is a large office building, and I have a Lightmass Volume for the exterior areas. Inside, on the lower levels I've added another as well. With both in the persisten level at once, will they work as intended or cause errors and performance issues?

I've never tried it, but I have vague memories of something in the UDN implying that your idea should work...

Ah, yes. Here it is:
    Originally posted by UDN
    •Place one or more LightmassImportanceVolumes around the part of your level that needs detailed global illumination. The radius of these volumes
    combined will have a huge impact on your build time, so try to encompass the important parts of your level as tightly as possible.
    Note that "these volumes" is a plural reference. Vague? Yes. It seems to imply that it'll work though.

I found it here:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Light... use Lightmass

Later, in the same article, it also says:
    Originally posted by UDN
    At this point, having multiple LightmassImportanceVolumes that bound the area to light more tightly is not a benefit, as lighting will be done using the bounding box that surrounds all of the importance volumes.
    RE: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Light...portanceVolume

Contradiction? Perhaps. Although the second quote seems to imply that having multiple LIV's inside of eachother will do nothing, which also implies that it won't hurt anything or cause errors. It just isn't helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the links Wyldhunt. After going through them and adding the volumes, it does in fact work. The first volume surrounds the upper floors and rooftop of the persistant level, the second volume is streamed into the pl with the second level of the of the building and a third with the ground floor. So for future reference it is possible. I wouldn't try having them overlap (one inside another) though. That might be bad.

Comment

Working...
      X