Procedural Sound Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedural Sound Generation

I was told that there is a piece of software that some game designers and film makers use to generate sound and create effects and Icant remeber what it was called but I am wondering what other people use to create their sounds for games.

Anyone want to share some info :P?

In all honesty, the concept of procedural sound effects doesn't convince me. I'd rather stick with good old recording for authenticity

Comment

Umm...

Protools? Logic? Max/MSP? Reaktor?

Sound effects... Hollywood Edge and Sound Ideas. All you need really...

I have never even heard of "procedural sound generation". Is that like a trumpet?

Comment

Sounds like something that will require ****loads of processing power to do.

Comment

theres absolutely tons of sound generating software
          heres a link with lots of free sound stuff, the site hasnt been updated for a while but its still good
          http://www.sonicspot.com/
          recorded sounds are ok if you want realism, but some games suit electronicaly generated sounds
          i use renoise and vst plugins, thats what i make music with as well.
          and you really cant beat native instruments reaktor for its versatility and richness of sound.
          procedural sound generation is imposible in udk at the moment, you might be able to do some fancy uscript that pretends to be, but untill udk has vst support were stuck with just playing boring old pre-recorded sound samples.
          sound stuff really doesnt use much proccesing power at all, even with reaktor maxed out my processor is only on tickover, its the ram that gets used up quick.

Comment

Have a look at PD for live generated audio (if that is what you are talking about) its like max/msp but less processor heavy so u may be able to use it alongside UDK

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
              In all honesty, the concept of procedural sound effects doesn't convince me. I'd rather stick with good old recording for authenticity
              Can't be said any better.
              Of course everything depends on your budjet and job's time-limits. But if you want realism and quality, head for a couple of good mics and a nice portable recording system. I consider any other synthesised method as "additional backround color" in a mix but, nothing that can stand on its own "feet" and get the impressions.

Comment

Working...
              X