Smooth shader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Level of Detail Smooth Transitioning Shader.

A texture which adds levels of texture complexity in a smooth and 'popless' manner as you get closer.

I could make a material which did exactly that using the distance and location nodes with a few lerps. Unfortunately, it would not be faster. It would be slower and take up extra texture spaces in the GPU. Since we can only support 16 textures in a SM 3.0 card, it would be bad to load in several different detail layers and mix them based upon distance. It would have the opposite effect in the UDK.

You might be able to script a custom node which would select a different size texture based upon distance. Not sure how you'd make that smooth, but it wouldn't pop much if you switched from a small 64X64 texture to a 128X128 texture as they got closer.

You'd need to find a way to only have a single texture loaded at once, so it'd need to be handled entirely in HLSL. If you had all of your textures laid out in the Material editor, it'd keep them all loaded all the time... which would be bad.

EDIT:
    If you really want that effect for something in your game, I can explain how to do it. It just won't make your game run faster.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now we all try to guess what is smooth shader.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think he's looking for a vertex shader of sorts that will perform normal smoothing of an object.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What is a smooth shader?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Smooth shader?

Smooth shader?

Is there any tutorial to teach you how to make a smooth shader for UDK?
Working...
X