Multiple material instances on terrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yeah. That's the same conclusion I came to. It's just unfortunate. That would have been a very powerful tool.

On the bright side, I can still apply multiple instances with the same parameter names to any other mesh. Just not terrain.
    It makes sense though. Keeping each terrain material as a seperate material in the same fashion as normal models would probably be expensive as... Well, I doubt it would work very well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Wildhunt, parameters didn't always have the behavior of being considered the same parameter if they had the same name inside the same material so it is very possible the document and example you are referring to was created before that change was implemented. As far as I know, the way materials work now you could not have multiple instances of the same material applied to the same terrain and have different values for the parameters of each instance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yep. It works that way with me too, which is unfortunate since that would be one of the best places to use instances and the UDN actually mentions that terrains are a great place to instance for tinting dirt layers and such. In reality, it doesn't work in any way that could ever be beneficial. So, I stick to instancing everything except my terrain, even though UDN told me to.

I'm not even sure if it would work the way their example explains it. Make a normal dirt layer. Then make an instance of the dirt material to change the tint. Even if the base dirt material was not instanced, it would still have the same parameter names in the material as its instanced child in order to allow for the tinting...

I'd love to know how to apply all of that to a terrain in some working fashion though. They act like it should be possible to do what you're trying to do.
    We make heavy use of instances all through our game and it would be really cool if we could instance our terrain layers. Sooo many good tricks depend upon instancing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, it sounds like the result of all materials applied to a terrain being compiled into a single material and the fact that parameters within a material having the same name act as the same parameter and will all have the same value. So you may actually be seeing the different materials applied properly, but their parameter values are all the same so they appear as the same material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've had that problem too, unfortunately. It seems that if your materials have identical parameter names some confusion happens when the engine generates the collapsed material for the terrain. The only way I've found around it is to use materials that aren't instanced to the same parent. I do use instances so I can edit the parameters easier tho.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Multiple material instances on terrain?

Multiple material instances on terrain?

I'm trying to apply a few materials instances that share a parent to a terrain. But when I do, only the material instance that is highest in the stack shows, but still using the alphas of the other instance layers. The problem doesn't exist if the materials are not instanced. Is this a glitch or a limitation? Have I missed a check box somewhere that allows me to use multiple instances together on terrain?
Working...
X