Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoother brush?

Hello everyone.

Working on the base gameplay of a map and what's the best way of doing so but using brushes...
    And so... I wonder if there's any chance of getting smoother brushes for stuff such as cylinder shapes. Is it really necessary to use a 3d app when it comes to simple shapes such as arcs?

I doubt there's any solution but 3ds max but just in case.... I dropped the question.
    Thanks for your time.

[SHOT]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2612/87106576.jpg[/SHOT]

good question. is there no way to have bsp surfaces perform some sort of surface normal smoothing?

Comment

First of all, I would hardly suggest BSP's for anything more than boxes.

But if you insist, you can right click the cylinder brush icon on the toolbar, and define the amount of sides.

I'm pretty sure BSPs don't support edge smoothing though, so you would have to use a ridiculous amount to get it to look good.

Comment

Yep. BSP is designed to rough in a level. They are not intended to be used as final mesh for a level. You'd have to tessellate your shapes something crazy if you wanted them to look good. Even then, they wouldn't look half as good as a proper mesh.

Comment

Thanks for replying.
          Quite true that is...
          I ended up using 3ds max in the end. I was hoping to avoid having to use max for such simple shapes especially when I'm just setting up the base structure.
          No mean to make a comparison or something but it'd be really nice if those brushes could be used the way brushes do in the Source Engine. It'd be a great tool for "time-limited" people like me.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
            it'd be really nice if those brushes could be used the way brushes do in the Source Engine. It'd be a great tool for "time-limited" people like me.
            Even with that in mind, making arcs and curves in Source with BSP then converting to func_detail is pretty nasty and no substitute for a nice mesh. Same thing in Unreal; I'd just use brushes for whiteboxing and very basic stuff like floors if need be.

Comment

Older versions of unreal engine have semi solid cgs brushes, i think they are removed from udk, but you can check maybe they are there. Those semi solids could produce a bit more complicated shapes without fear of glitches, but still anywhere near what static mesh can do.

Comment

Working...
              X