Particle Physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particle Physics

Is it possible to apply force or impulse to a particle system?

For example, I have a smoke emitter in my level and would like to be able to shoot an impulse at it in order to blow the smoke off it's path temporarily. Imagine a gun that shoots a burst of wind and shooting it at the smoke effect.

Is something like this possible? Any help would be great! Thanks!

It is indeed possible. Try taking a look at physX fluid particles;
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PhysX...Reference.html

Comment

Woot! Thank you very much!

Comment

I cant balieve that is possible! Does it work with ATI physX?

Comment

ATI doesn't have PhysX, but you can still do it on the CPU.

Edit: Or if you're in Windows 7, you can run an Nvidia card with different drivers to handle physics, which is nice.

Comment

So, after reading up on the PhysX particle systems, I've modified the built in UT smoke column particle effect to have a physX sprite data module that points to a PhysX particle system I have created ( thanks ambershee!! ). The only thing I've done to the new physX particle system is disable gravity on the particles so that they don't bounce to the ground.

Now, I've placed this emitter into my test level and it functions like the normal smoke column. However, I've tried placing every different type of impulse and force actor into the level in order to affect the smoke column, but nothing seems to happen. I've fiddled around with the parameters of all involved, but can't seem to figure out how to give the smoke column a little "wind" in order to blow it off course.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I'd assume you need a physics force in order to apply any kind of effect to the smoke - these should be classes named RB_Whatever (e.g RB_RadialForceActor), but I'm not sure how useable these are off-the-bat without a little scripting.

Edit: I'm sure UT3 had a volume that would affect physics particles. I remember it being in the PhysX demo maps.

Comment

Ok, thanks Ambershee. I've tried every RB_xxx impulse and force actor I can find but they don't seem to have any affect. I'll dig around and try to see if the physics volume will do anything for me.

Comment

Working...
                X