How to import a Static Mesh with 2 or more materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to import a Static Mesh with 2 or more materials

Hi, I have made a simple moniter on 3DS Max and as its only a simple model, it just needs 2 materials (which are set on 3DS Max), one for the screen and one for the body of the moniter. When I import the mesh though into UDK, it just has one material instead of the 2. How do I export the model from 3DS Max to make this work (or have I got to do something else)?

I know I can do a UVW map but I am not very good at these as I dont really know how to do these and also I thought because it is a simple model, surely the way I am doing it would be easier and better (especially as the screen if shiny whereas the body isnt).

Can anybody help me?

importing mesh to udk imports only geometry nd uv coordinates, it does not import textures/materials.

to put all together in udk you need:
    - export and then import mesh , this is what you are doing now

- then export both materials from max as texture (power of 2 size, tga, 32bit)
    - or paint both textures in photoshop

- when you have textures ready make materials out of them in udk and apply to mesh

Or search for tutorials on internets and follow one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
      importing mesh to udk imports only geometry nd uv coordinates, it does not import textures/materials.

to put all together in udk you need:
      - export and then import mesh , this is what you are doing now

- then export both materials from max as texture (power of 2 size, tga, 32bit)
      - or paint both textures in photoshop

- when you have textures ready make materials out of them in udk and apply to mesh

Or search for tutorials on internets and follow one of them.
      I know I'm not importing the materials, what I mean is: When I go onto the static mesh editor on UDK and where you apply the material, there is only one material to apply, how do I get 2 materials in the LODInfo section?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KingBadger View Post
          Chris, you need to make a multisub material with the two channels and name them in the material then export as fbx, when you bring the model in it should now have 0 and 1 material channels. If you export as ASE your need to have a texture in the diffuse slot or it won't bring in the extra material channel
          Thanks, this worked

Comment

i was wondering if there is a way to apply more than one texture to a model that is imported as a static mesh from maya? the model has about 4 pictures that are supposed to be attached to it and i imported the model with no problems but i dont know how to apply all the textures.

Comment

Working...
            X