These Effin Dynamic Shadows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These Effin Dynamic Shadows!

I didn't touch the UDK for a while, but just downloaded it again and wanted to do something with it... I need Full Dynamic Soft Shadows and Kactors for that.

But: I can't get it to work. The KActors are just throwing Shadows that are fading out at distance, but not the Static Geometry.

Yes, I am using Pointlights, but shouldn't they work since the last UDK release?

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to set up to have the dynamic soft shadows on ALL objects (especially the Kactors...).

What Light do I have to use (I really need a pointlight) etc etc?
    I tried for hours but it's just not working

The dynamic shadows fade out very close at default go into the point light and type in 999999999 in the minimum and max shadow resolution and then 1 into the shadow fadeout it should increase the range drastically.

Comment

Maybe your light is set to cast Modulated shadows. Switch to cast Normal shadows.

Comment

Turn maxqualitymode on in your UDKEngine.ini.

Comment

In your light properties, do you have Cast Static Shadows checked?
          Do you have Static checked in its lighting channels?

Comment

Originally posted by Elude View Post
            Turn maxqualitymode on in your UDKEngine.ini.
            What the heck is that supposed to do? Didn't improve anything but killed my fps.

Comment

I managed to fix it. I don't know HOW exactly. But I deactivated the DynamicLightComponent in the KActor and used a SpotLightMovable. Now its working...

Comment

use light mass

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenDozer View Post
                  I didn't touch the UDK for a while, but just downloaded it again and wanted to do something with it... I need Full Dynamic Soft Shadows and Kactors for that.

But: I can't get it to work. The KActors are just throwing Shadows that are fading out at distance, but not the Static Geometry.

Yes, I am using Pointlights, but shouldn't they work since the last UDK release?

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to set up to have the dynamic soft shadows on ALL objects (especially the Kactors...).

What Light do I have to use (I really need a pointlight) etc etc?
                  I tried for hours but it's just not working
                  Shadows are both a pain and somewhat completely broken for anything but the default implementation in UDK these days, it used to be a lot easier.

Anyway, try not using modulated shadows (BlendMode_Normal, untick modulated shadows) on your casting lights and ensure they do not have an overly large radius, that should give you a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                    Shadows are both a pain and somewhat completely broken for anything but the default implementation in UDK these days, it used to be a lot easier.

Anyway, try not using modulated shadows (BlendMode_Normal, untick modulated shadows) on your casting lights and ensure they do not have an overly large radius, that should give you a starting point.
                    Actually the post you quoted IS from the past when things used to be a lot easier? (2010). Someone just bumped this with a smartass comment.

Comment

My bad

Comment

Working...
                      X