Too many static meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many static meshes?

From watching the 3D Buzz vids I know that one should limited the amount and complexity of BSPs in a level as much as possible and use static meshes wherever possible. Im a stickler for detail and want to create rather involved architecture in my levels. Im curious if there is a total number of meshes per area of space ratio that should be aimed for or if I can use as many as I want.

Obviously as I add more and more static meshes my little laptop slows down a little in UDK but when I run the map I don't experience any issues.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to get in the habit of doing more than I should.

This is one of those things you would probably have to go and create a test case with many, many models and see when you hit a wall. Not sure if there is a hard coded limit or something like that.

The thing with this kinds of limits (basically any graphical limit) is that it's most likely gonna be machine specific. Your hardware is the limit probably. I THINK it would be a memory limit in the model count case. Unless there was actually a hard coded limit set which means past some point it becomes a software limit but that's unknown. I don't know if it's possibly mentioned in any docs. But otherwise you simply have to find the limit and testing for it is of course the quickest way.

Comment

It's not really a limit on the amount of object but how many polygons it needs to display.

You can instance a static mesh to save on memory, but you still have a limit of how many polygons can actually be displayed, whether they are instanced meshes or not.

Comment

It is not just the polycount, it is also the memory, translucency, drawcalls, etc.

Every mesh is different. There is no hard limit. 400 really complex meshes are obviously going to affect performance more than 400 simple meshes. In general a few hundred standard meshes in view should be doable. Open up some Epic levels and look at how many they used, if you want a guideline.

Comment

You're going to run into a static mesh memory ceiling at some point. Hourences smacked the nail on the head

Comment

Working...
          X