detecting noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    When you mentioned bot for a custom stealth gametype, I assumed you were going to create custom uscript code (as using kismet for such a thing would be 'suboptimal' and needlessly complex).

The makenoise function can be called from the same function that plays the footstep sounds in the Pawn class, the AI code "hears" the "noise" by having the HearNoise event called, and in this section is where you can direct your bot to investigate the location of the noise, ignore it (and say something), or freak out etc. (just like the bots in every other stealth game using the UEngine like SplinterCell, RainbowSix Ravenshield etc.).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    he's talking about functions \ events in script, this isn't the sort of thing to be done in kismet if that's what your thinking

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks but please speak english you sounded Martian to me....... where is the "makenoise" function I can't find it in Content Browser->Actor classes neither can I find HearNoise ... or are you talking about scripting language? if so I am lost. Those functions you talk about would be a perfect solution to my question-problem though.

Your footnote says if one has questions pertaining to this or that to ask you but where? email or web page ???
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Okay, listen to this guy. I didn't know that Epic had built it into their engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ...or just have the human player's pawn call the "makenoise" function (actor class) in each foot step (with the loudness variable adjusted based on the player's speed) and use the HearNoise event notification (controller class) to have your bots begin their reaction chain of events.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In theory it would work like each footstep has a soundEmitted variable, set to different amounts in various states and walking on various materials (walking on snow emits less sound than on steel or concrete), the soundEmitted variable can be used as a radius for a 2D circle against a bots soundHeard or soundHearing, which can change in different environments (like heavy rain = less sound heard), which could be used in a 2D circle and a simple circle collision test can verify if the soundEmitted and soundHeard circles overlap.

Of course, this is just my theory on how it would work.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic detecting noise

detecting noise

Is there a way that a spawned bot can detect player's made noise (footsteps for instance) for a stealth type game.
Working...
X