how to hide bsp face in the editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to hide bsp face in the editor

How can I hide the exterior faces of a room for ease of editing the interior?

You can press Q to toggle BSP faces. I dont think you can hide individual faces, aside from assigning a transparent material to that face, with all the hassle that generates.

Comment

So, in design, do people typically deal with a wall in their face when looking into a room from the outside?

Comment

You can click on the face, right click, and choose hide but most things are done with static mesh nowdays so this "typically" is not that big of an issue.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. And thanks for the pointer on the static mesh use. And how would you hide selected faces of a static mesh?

Comment

I organize mesh with groups.

Comment

Well great! Remember my post is regarding hiding individual faces of BSP brushes.

Comment

And my last reply was not directed at your original post. I already answered your original post and you asked separate question about static mesh. You can't hide selected faces of a static mesh. You can't do that in even in Maya and for organizing purpose I absolutely don't see a reason to.

Comment

Dang! You sound serious. But word up: you can hide them in Maya, and you will if that's how you work. I know you don't see a reason to nowdays, that's why you're suggesting I adopt your methods. Once again, thanks for your information.

Comment

No you cannot hide individual faces of a polygon in Maya. You would have to separate or extract the faces but then you're not hiding the face of ONE object anymore.

Comment

Oh you know what? I have been using a script to hide faces in Maya, and other programs I use have that feature native. When working with architecture it's really helpful for me to look past walls, it speeds the design process and gives the designer a better view of what's going on. With double walled geometry, like the hollow BSP brush, backfacing normals are auto-culled so it's easy to see in, unfortunately there are two faces to deal with, so if I hide the outside face then I can view inside from any location just fine.

I'm using BSP because it works well for prototyping crowd and bot pathfinding, and it seams static meshes/terrain add some complexity to the thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X