Draw distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw distance

Hi, Im working in a proyect with a very big map and I have a optimization problem. I think the draw distance is very big and It kill my FPS. I cant use cull distance volume because the houses are a big connected mesh and if it dissapears with distance will be ugly. And I cant use LOD because the house meshes are connected with others.

My only solution is make smaller the draw distance if I can, but I dont know how can I make it..

Hi from Spain

Post a screenshot, please.

Comment

Comment

Why won't you just chop the buildings into smaller pieces?

Comment

because the houses use the same texture and the same UV if I chop the houses they will lose texture coordinates..

Comment

Seperating them won't mess the UV coordinates. You could just export/import one of those houses/barracks into UDK and then duplicate it there. No need to import both as one smesh.

Also, if you ripped those off from Stalker, bad bad boy. That isn't very kind, nor you learn anything useful.

Comment

I think that's what he is going for as I can see the X18 Laboratory Surface Building in the background as well as the bandit base, PLUS the bridge that leads to the cordon after you go into X18. Even if he is ripping off stalker he is doing a good job of it lol. This is the Dark Valley if I am not mistaken.

Comment

GOOD, Im in a tema working in a multiplayer stalker using old content for now, because we are studing UDK. After this map we will do our location..

http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker-unreal-zone

People, how can I optimizate this??!

Comment

Well to optimize it you want to have the largest amount of static meshes possible to make up each complex so that it will occlude polygons behind them if you don't you might as well be looking at every single polygon that, that single mesh has even if they don't show up on screen.

Comment

how can I do that?

Comment

Use the 3d package of your choice (provided the stalker content is in a format that is readable by that package) and slice the meshes into multiple parts. Export these parts as single static meshes into UDK. Stitch them together in your map.
                      If you do not know how to do that you should consider getting some training in your 3d package.

Comment

Importing entire buildings will be such a negative performance hit on the game. You will get no culling or LOD at all while inside a building. If you look at the sample maps in UDK you see that they are are simply "building block" static meshes.
                        So you just export some building blocks of your own (wall, archway, door opening, stair case segment, etc etc) and then build up the maps using that. The more you can reuse segments the better it will be for the performance since it can reuse the same mesh for several portions of your maps that use the same static mesh.

Just take a peek at the UDK sample maps and do the same as they have done.

Comment

Working...
                        X