Vertex Painting vs Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    ok great. Thank you for the link and I didn't even know about the search on the top :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ighlight=color

Next time, try using the search function above.

BTW: You may overlap colors in vertex painting that creates 3 or 4 blending masks instead of 1.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does anyone know how I could set up the material editor so that I can vertex paint with three textures? I have it set up for two but I am unsure as to what nodes to utilize to get a third incorporated?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by smoallem16 View Post
    This is the tutorial I used to set up my vertex painting. The results came out fairly well from what I can see.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Adv..._Painting.html

Also I was wondering: Is it possible to create a vertex painting material that allows you to paint three textures? In the video we only utilized the red channel for vertex color. Is it possible to maybe utilize the green as well?
    yes. maybe even 4.
    i'm pretty sure that it's possible to even have more set up, but i'm not a genious with the material editor... yet :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is the tutorial I used to set up my vertex painting. The results came out fairly well from what I can see.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Adv..._Painting.html

Also I was wondering: Is it possible to create a vertex painting material that allows you to paint three textures? In the video we only utilized the red channel for vertex color. Is it possible to maybe utilize the green as well?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can create masks to alter the sharpness or general pattern of the vertex paint

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
    You can modify the material layout to utilize vertex painting if your mesh does have low vertex counts.
    ;o. And by that you mean... ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, that'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So if i'm using vertex painting on planes (for my walls) and the poly count stays between 100 to 500polys, that shouldn't be anything too draining for the engine right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can modify the material layout to utilize vertex painting if your mesh does have low vertex counts.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Vertex Painting need what the namge suggest vertex. Which means your mesh must have quite a lot polys to actually make VP looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Depends what you want to do really. Vertex painting would be the cheaper option in regards to system resources, but they both have different advantages and disadvantages.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Vertex Painting vs Decals

Vertex Painting vs Decals

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you know if it would be more beneficial to use decals or to utilize vertex painting?

I'm not sure on the cost of each one in regards to resources, and I plan of using it pretty extensively with my level.
Working...
X