Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiling Textures for StaticMeshes

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how you could tile the material on a static mesh without tiling the actual material. Right now I'm using the texture coordinate node to tile it it the material itself but I want more control as to what I want tiled for each mesh.

You have to make the UV map so that multiple faces share the same coordinates, ie just stack them.

Comment

In 3dsmax you can do it in at least two ways, I think.

1)
      a) Within the material editor rollout find your sub-material (if you have more than one which your question suggests) and unroll the maps section.

b) Open the map slot that stores your diffuse texture.

c) Increase the tiling in the desired direction (u or v) inside the coordinates rollout.

2)
      a) Select your mesh and apply an Unwrap UVW modifier.

b) Open the Edit UVWs section under parameters and increase the scale of the desired mesh elements - the farther they exceed the 1st UV quadrant the stronger the tiling.

With the first approach you scale the whole UV layout of the given mesh the sub-material has been applied to. With the second approach you have somewhat more control over what UV elements to scale.

Comment

Is there any way to do it within the UDK? or do I have to have it set up prior to exporting to UDK

Comment

Originally posted by smoallem16 View Post
          Hey everyone,

I was wondering how you could tile the material on a static mesh without tiling the actual material. Right now I'm using the texture coordinate node to tile it it the material itself but I want more control as to what I want tiled for each mesh.
          Simples thing to do is to tessellate your mesh in you favorite modeling soft, and then manually position each face on texture.

It's quite time consuming but it's better than using submaterials. But if your mesh have to use only two or three submaterials im not sure if manual tiling is wroth it ;p.

Comment

Working...
          X