Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP Seams and Other Problems

Hello everyone,

As you can see from this picture http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=bspseams.png I have seams on my bsp. I realize that this is because there are multiple surfaces there. Is there any way to fix this? It seems that whenever a mistake is made using bsp it is almost impossible to go back and change unless you undo everything without getting seams or just not being able to align them perfectly. Also, using a static mesh seems impractical for this because it is just hallways and stairs atm.

Select all of the faces at once (by hold Ctrl when clicking) then press F5. In the "Alignment" box click on Planar, then click "Apply".

I'd recommend using a static mesh for the stairs anyway - BSP is much more expensive.

Comment

Thank you so much! You saved my level.
      If I made a static mesh for the stairs it would be just a bunch of quads exactly like the bsp. Would that still perform better than bsp stairs? I was under the impression that for simple level geometry like stairs, walls, floors, and ceilings bsp was ok. Thanks again.

Comment

No probs. Yeah static meshes would still be better. Building the entire level from them would be optimal, but BSP for walls and floors etc is fine. Stairs are very unoptimised however.

Comment

It seems my problem came back again when I changed all of the lights from dynamic lights to static lights. Using planar align doesn't make the seams disappear. Any suggestions?

Comment

Have you rebuilt the lighting?

Comment

Yes. Many many times.

Comment

You can also flip to Geometry mode and move bsp after it's been "added". It's actually more forgiving then you would think just looking at it. ( last thing you want to do is place an additive BSP, then nibble away from it with subtractive )

Select all faces, right click and select Alignment -> Whatever the wall option is.

Comment

I hope this isn't stupid, but you can make changes to your existing BSP's by editing the colored boxes left behind by the builder brush, and then rebuilding geometry.

Comment

Working...
                  X