Phase out huge package > 300mb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied

Can someone explain why this is occurring? The assets referenced aren't displaying any strange behavior at runtime. I don't understand why they are still referencing a package which is gone, while being saved in another package.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Certainly at this stage there have been inconsistencies.

How do you know that moving assets with the map open is an issue anyway? Based off of intuition, I would think that the map should be open so as to alter it's link to the content.

But the truth is that, I'm thinking I moved assets with both the map opened and closed. Fortunately, the "null" objects were all a part of a single group of duplicated static mesh's which would have needed to be replaced in any case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not entirely sure why you're having the problems you are. My best guess is that you had a map open at the time you started moving, and you also seem to have hacked at it for a while without working out all the kinks, so you might just be stuck at this point. I'm also wondering if it's because of something obscure like where you are storing your maps or packages, etc. Possibly something had read-only on it accidentally, etc.

Deleting (and letting the engine rebuild) those files might reset some broken linkages. It's unlikely, but wortha shot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Could the issue be that when I am moving an asset to another package, I am also renaming it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's an opportunity to sort through the map and clear out anything not needed. That's what I'll tell myself.
    I'm curious about how deleting the journal, checkpoint, manifest, shader caches, and .ini files will help?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's very strange. I've done some pretty extensive moves recently with no ill effects. However, i did a LOT of testing in a sandbox before I hit my actual assets. Seems like you have a LOT of work a head of you.

You may want to try and delete all your journal, checkpoint, manifest and shader caches as well as the UT/UDK .ini files and see if that gets it on track. That's brutal!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OK, I take it back. I've been consolidating everyone's work into a couple packages; AI, Characters, Props, Environment, etc.

I didn't notice any issues until I removed the old packages (shells) from the content directory, at this point, when loading the level I get the following message;

I can restore the shell packages although many of the errors still exist. It seems like the asset location in the new package is dependent on the original package's existence.

What a mess.

At least I know all of the assets exist in the packages, it's just that the map isn't aware of the address change.

Is there a way to point these items in the correct direction through this error message, instead of running around my map and locating each null?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks like everything is working fine- now it's a lot of rinse and repeat. I guess the trick was accessing all of the scripts that referenced the assets and changing their references, after relocating the assets.

Thanks for all of the help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cool! That all sounds logical. I will give it a shot. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you get that message when you are moving the asset or deleting it?

If the answer is deleting, you're doing it wrong :P You need to move/rename, otherwise no linkages will be updated, hence the error when you try and delete something. However, I HAVE been in that particular hell before after doing some botched moves early on in my days with UE3.

If it's during the move, then there's likely something in script that's binding those assets to the packages. Scripts as was mentioned above won't update when you try and move assets. You'll need to disable the .u files you are using, move the stuff (don't load a map!), update the scripts, recompile and you should be golden.

Best of luck!

UPDATE: there it is in the linkage error: INCCletusInfo class

Leave a comment:

• replied

Here's the error I get when attempting to delete an asset. There is no map open, and the dependencies are all within the package, and there are some scripts that reference it as well.

I ran the "fixupredirects" command, and all seemed to be going well; the command line popped up, identified several packages that needed fixin', but then it crashed- a couple times.

I'm thinking I might need to get forceful with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tom, thanks for the reply and the insight. The reason that the map is loosing linkage to its assets is a result of the package not being available when it is loaded. You see, when working with a dozen other individuals who all have different assets coming in at different times- you simply cannot arrange packages how ever you'd like.

The situation is that we are all working remotely. Each person does not need access to all assets at once, typically, an individual will only need to place an asset in the game or spend time re-arranging assets. So the process of downloading 12-15 separate packages everyday to integrate one asset is a little troublesome.

I'm looking for a way to display proxy meshes when the full asset is unavailable. I don't think that there is an option for this though.

Currently, because textures seem to be the biggest use of space, I'm thinking about categorizing all of the static meshes in a single package by their use in the game, and placing all of the textures in several packages.

The real issue right now is that when I move an asset from the large package to another one, a version of it remains in the original package.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    desigpa> that's because the materials that reference the imges are stored in the packages, so the references get updated automatically. Like i said about your scenes losing linking, I think it's because you've got the scene open. That's likely a bad procedure as it's unneeded and can cause some big issues as you mentioned.

As for your packages, you can organize them in any way you see fit. Texture sets can be in different packages than materials that can be in different packages than the meshes theya re applied to. How you organize it is completely up to you.

For example, i did a very high-res globe that required several layers of 4K textures to acheive the effect. I ended up with 6 or 7 100-200mb packages to acheive the single model and material:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=732696

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the input. It all seems to be working fine. Although I'm finding that even breaking packages into smaller chunks leaves some categories still too large- I'm finding that textures take up most of my space. I ran a test, and I can separate textures from mesh packages, and work with them independently (or between other people), and the textures don't have an issue re-linking, where-as static meshes will be saved as null after saving a map when they could not be located.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you face problems of old package references coming up again, then run UDK with the 'fixupredirects' flag ("UDK.exe fixupredirects"). This will search through all packages and maps, and fix up all references permanently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X