Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominant Directional light glitching

Hey guys,

I have a level that has a bright sunlight outdoors and a number of dark interior locations. I'm working with largely dynamic lighting to an overall high degree of success. Most of the time the lighting looks great but I've had two problems with the DominantDirectionalLight that I'm using for the sun.

First, the Dominant Light works fine until my player character goes into complete shadow. After he goes back outside from a mostly dark room the model player model no longer receives light from the DominantDirectionalLight at all, although he still casts a shadow correctly. The character himself looks black as if in full shadow. This doesn't ever happen with any other dynamic lights in the scene, just with the Dominant Light.

My other problem involves a hole in the ceiling of one of my buildings. The DominantionDirectional properly casts light through the BSP hole and builds a proper shadowmap on the floor and wall, but doesn't cast on the character or generate a character shadow. If I stand on a surface closer to the hole in the ceiling and jump up the character shadow and lighting will flash on for a second at the height of the jump. Is this because I used a subtractive brush? I'm trying to make the hole round and I can make the ceiling piece as a polygonal model if needed but it seems like this should work correctly.

This is the same light in both of my issues. I based my settings off the ones in the UDK example maps so it should work correctly. I've tried different setups but these two problems don't seem to go away. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. Any thoughts?

I don't know about the hole problem but the character lighting I've also encountered. Are you using the May build?. I had the same problem in the May build but since using the June build, that seems to be fixed.

Comment

I'm downloading the June build at work right now. I'll install it once I get home. I hope that resolves at least part of the issue. It doesn't seem like a setting, just a straight-up error.

Comment

Working...
      X