nubie question about textures and scaleing them larger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nubie question about textures and scaleing them larger

I'm making a road that is quite wide. My texture is imported at the maximum size. The texture is concrete with fine wavy lines. I think that the texture is tiled many many many times across the road. I want to paint the white lines on the texture in paintshop pro before I import the texture and then scale the texture so that the lines are on the edge of the road...but this requires the texture to be very large scaled and unrealistic. Some of the lines on the road are curved to simulate taxiways curving off the runway so painting and adjusting textures is needed. Anyone have advice on how to have a realistic scaled texture for the wide road and painted lines with curves. I 'm not good with static meshes yet....creation and texturing so Ive just been sticking with bsp...argh what a mouthful. I hope you can figure out what I just said.

I don't have a lot of experience on this particular type of game environment (race tracks) but could you possibly have the white paint lines as decals that can manually be placed over the generic road texture? Curious to know about your inquiry myself.

Comment

I'm not sure about the decals but it sounds good...although I'm not sure how thats done. I was thinking about it and it ocourred to me that I could mabe use the road texture on the terrain and use the white lines on the terrain also, import the white lines in as a texture material and place them as another layer on the terrain, rotate them as needed. The question is how do I mask the background away from the white lines so that they will lay over the terrain road. Do I do this in photoshop or can I do this in UDK? Anyone help?

Comment

Check the "Documentation" link at the top of the page, it is full of fun and excitement. Content Creation Home will help you know more about supported texture formats and such. To make the lines you will have to have an adventure in photoshop though, but the stuff in the documentation should help you to make a bump map so that you can make your lines look like real textured paint and not just flat 1980's quality. Just make a separate layer to draw them and then squish the layers flat when you are done. Save it as a separate file from you original texture or you will be rage punting your monitor when it comes time to texture a driveway and you don't need the paint lines. Photoshop should have some tuts to help you do what you got to do with the lines I use Gimp so I can't be of much assistance with the Photoshop step-by-step...

Good Luck Happy Hunting.

Comment

Make your white line in photoshop. do a select all and copy. Create a new channel. It will be an alpha channel by default. Make sure you only have the alpha channel selected. Paste it into there. Use level adjustment (again just on the alpha channel) and slide the arrows to get the parts you want to see white and the transparent parts black. Save the file as a .tga with 32 bits.

Import into UDK and select alpha to opacity mask. When you make the material link the alpha of the texture to opacity mask. You should have transparent parts in your material.

Edit: in the material set blend mode to blend_masked

I did this from memory so let me know if something doesn't work and I will fix the directions.

Comment

simular problem

We have our map. Thing is when ported over to udk the map hits the preset ceiling height causing issues. I'm uploading a sample of what we're running into. Anyone lend a hand on to what can be done to resolve this matter? That and the roadway texture didn't show up as expected either. Not sure if that has to do with the scaling of the map or not.

No disrepect or highjack meant just a problem also relating to the subject as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

You should have the model the correct size you want in your 3d modeling program. This will help with scaling issues. Make sure your UVW map is set up correctly for what you want in your 3d modeling program.

You can add a texture coordinate to your material to help out with the issues in UDK.

You might also want to break up your model into pieces. You can run into problems with collision on complex models.

Comment

Working...
              X