Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedtree shadow issues

Hi,
    I have some problems with the shadows of a speedtree. Please take a look at these pictures:

That's how it should look like:

And that's the same scene but with another camera viewing angle:

The billboards of the leaves are looking pretty stange on the shadow (I'm using dynamic lighting for the tree).
    I know where the problem comes from, but I don't know how to fix it...
    During Shadow Map rendering the billboards are still turned to player, but actually they should face the "light camera".
    Any idea how to fix this problem?
    (I'm still using the April UDK release)

Use tri-foil meshes in the speedtree modeler rather than the cards.

Comment

Are you using dynamic light?

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
        Use tri-foil meshes in the speedtree modeler rather than the cards.
        tri-foil meshes? But tri-foil meshes aren't billboards, are they? Because I want to have billboards...
        And where can I change it in the modeller?

Originally posted by Springare
        Are you using dynamic light?
        Yes I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin31 View Post
          tri-foil meshes? But tri-foil meshes aren't billboards, are they? Because I want to have billboards...
          And where can I change it in the modeller?

Yes I do.
          Well you can't have them :P

Edit: Go to assets window -> meshes and add the mesh you want there. After that it should appear in that place you posted.

Comment

Well, thanks for your help, but actually I still want to have the billboard leaves.
            Is there another way to make the shadows work?

Comment

No. Either use 3d meshes or don't use dynamic shadows.
              And yes, it is irritating. Personally I think the cards look better, but I suppose you can't have everything the way you want.

Comment

okay, thanks, I've also found smth. in the UDK Documentation:

Originally posted by UDN
                Speedtrees support using billboards as leaves but this isn't very effective, it looks much better to define a mesh as a group of leaves or a branch.
                I think I'll just try it out, and see what I get.

Comment

Hi, I've been struggling with this issue for some time, and finally saw the solution in this thread. Thanks!!!

I was torn between lightmass, which bakes the shadows (still my first choice, but no real time shadows, obviously), or doing real-time, but then I had those spinning cards which disappeared when the player cam was perpendicular to the light direction.

I have done the 'tri foil' meshes, or whatever they are. I basically made a 3 card mesh - vertical, horizontal and flat, intersecting at thier centers and put them out as an .obj. They came into the modeler and compiler fine, and with some minor parameter tweaking I got it to look relatively good. They are still affected by wind, which is cool, but yes, at certain angles the flat edge of the planes pop out a bit. On the other hand, my real-time shadows look just dandy now.

Oh, and the reason I prefer lightmass is because you don't need to put in a crapload of lights to fake bounced light, and some of my meshes had glow which affected neighboring primitives - that has to be faked now too. Unfortunately, my lightmass won't bake anymore, my scene is getting too heavy... which is why I need to jump to real-time shadows... so... thanks for the solution!!!

Cheers,
                  Gera

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin31 View Post
                    Yes I do.
                    Well since you use dynamic light the shadows will be strange since the leaf planes always rotate towards the player.

If you have a separate light just for the speedtrees that is static and bake them you are all set.

Comment

Well, actually the leaf planes always rotate towards the camera, and if this stuff is calculated in the shader it would (most likely) rotate towards the light during shadow map rendering, because the light is the "camera".
                      But it seems like the billboards are rotated on the CPU and rotate only towards the player cam...

I still think there have to be some sort of workaround, maybe a property, but I haven't found anything yet, otherwise leaf billboards would imho be useless.
                      And static light for trees is ugly, because the leaves are moving in the wind and this should be recognized on the shadows!

Comment

There should be some switch to light the tree statically, and another switch to light the shadow dynamic/static... I've looked through the switches and found the dynamic shadow switch but if you have use precomputed light maps on (or the static channel) it kills the dynamic. So do you simply place a ton of dynamic lights to get light all around the tree?

Comment

Originally posted by UDKUser View Post
                          There should be some switch to light the tree statically, and another switch to light the shadow dynamic/static... I've looked through the switches and found the dynamic shadow switch but if you have use precomputed light maps on (or the static channel) it kills the dynamic. So do you simply place a ton of dynamic lights to get light all around the tree?
                          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=731150

Read the last post.

Comment

I responded

Comment

Working...
                            X