Special rope animation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special rope animation.

Hey guys. I'm currently working on a cinematic of sorts and have stumbled upon a little problem which i really don't know what would be the best way to solve it. I'm trying to animate a rope with a bucket tied to one end, as you would normally see in a well. What i cant seem to figure out is how to animate the rope spawning so the bucket can fall. Any ideas?

My guess is i would reuse a rope mesh several times in order to make it seem like its actually a very long rope, but I'm not sure.

Here's a pic in case I wasn't clear.

[Shot]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/157/ropeexample.jpg[/Shot]

I try to make it too with chains. I have no idea how to make it.

Comment

Yes, I imagine its something that is done very often. One posible solution would be to conceal it, but i my case i dont know where i could hide a rope that long.

Comment

Scale the rope as it moves up or down...

Comment

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU---

Use the shot tag....

Comment

@CoffeeGrunt
            I thought of scaling it, but that would mess up the texture.
            @CreativeCoding
            Shot tag?

Comment

[shot} [/shot]
              That, it automatically resizes pics.

Comment

OK, so i've gotten around to making some tests within 3ds max and found a very simple way to do the animation i want for the rope using a modifier. The problem now is to get that animation in to UDK. I was reading up a bit and it seems theres no way to bake an animation and use that in game. So in order to do any type of animations you basicaly have to use bone based animations? That would be way to much hassle since the rope has more that 50 divisions, and that would mean i would have to use more than 50 bones. Is there really no easy way to get around this?

Comment

As far as I am aware, the UDK should support both Polygon and vertex animations from Max without the use of bones. Modifier based animations will not translate into the UDK from my understanding, since they are procedurally generated inside max, instead of being referenced as animations off the root of the object.

If you recreate your animations using manual animation or other constraints not animated through the modifier stack, it should work fine in the UDK.

IIRC I used a spline path constraint for an old animation using the UE2 engine (as well as many other 'by hand' animations without bones), which presumably should still work fine.

Edit: It appears that the UDK does now support the .fbx filetype, which is capable of modifier based animation exporting from my understanding. Well, Animations are still handled through ActorX and it's psk format, so I suggest the more 'simple' way

Comment

Working...
                  X