Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Mass physics demonstration!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDK Mass physics demonstration!

This is a mass physics demonstration I made and rendered using the recent may build for the UDK, if anyones seen a Crysis mass physics video they can probably relate to this really easy. This video demonstrates what 25,000 barrels stacked around a pillar 15,000 feet high and then falling to the ground in groups might look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_rPDwSKe8

I accomplished this using the UDK to design my level of course and then running the benchmark shortcut command to render the scene at a constant 30 fps.

Awesome. And the lesson we can all learn from this is that you should not try to build a space elevator out of barrels.

Comment

One of the best things I've seen in UDK, seriously, it was damn cool.

Comment

Thats awesome.

Though I'm not sure I understand how you made that video at 30 frames. Can you explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc89 View Post
          Though I'm not sure I understand how you made that video at 30 frames. Can you explain?
          Incoming wall of text!!

I explain this in the description just not in super detail. Basically I rendered the scene using the benchmark shortcut command, what this does is it gives the game a variable framerate rather then a fixed framerate. With a variable framerate the game will either speed up or slow down depending on my fps, for example if I was getting 200 fps the game speed within the game would feel extremely fast as if I was playing at slomo 3 or so.

In this case I was getting somewhere around .4 fps during the game, but with the variable framerate the game slowed down by ALOT! If you record with fraps with nosync enabled and with a variable framerate it wont matter how bad your computer is lagging during the process of recording because after the process your video will appear to be at a constant perfect 30 fps no matter whats going on.

It took roughly around 3 hours to render this entire scene and you'd figure while recording with fraps for 3 hours I'd have dozens of uncompressed clips that probably wouldnt fit on my harddrive, wrong! Fraps only captures the frames it needs to make it to 30 fps with nosync on. While my game was lagging at .4 fps it didnt matter to fraps with this variable framerate because its only going to capture 30 frames within one second each time in the games world time, so even though technically the render took 3 hours to do, and you'd think I'd have probably many 100,000 frames within the video, I didnt.

Sorry fo the wall of text, not sure if I explained any of that right. If you'd like to experiment yourself go ahead and try to by typing this at the end of your UDK games shortcut target box. -benchmark -fps 30.

This command wont make the video for you it'll only give the game that variable framerate you need to record with, you'll either have to run an additional command like dumpmovie to capture your frames or in my case use an external recording program like fraps. I chose to use a recording program rather then the command because the process was much faster.

Comment

Pretty awesome

Comment

Did you have hardware accelerated physx or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
                Did you have hardware accelerated physx or not?
                No, read the wall of text a couple post above you if your curious of how I ran it so smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elude View Post
                  No, read the wall of text a couple post above you if your curious of how I ran it so smoothly.
                  Yea I read it, but it didn't really answer the question I had in my mind :P
                  It could've ran just as crappy as far as I know.

Comment

That was really, really awesome! Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
                      Yea I read it, but it didn't really answer the question I had in my mind :P
                      It could've ran just as crappy as far as I know.
                      Oh sorry lol, yea I wouldnt know but I'd guess instead of .4 fps I might of been getting a little bit better lol who knows. Cant imagine it being playable still though haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Elude View Post
                        Oh sorry lol, yea I wouldnt know but I'd guess instead of .4 fps I might of been getting a little bit better lol who knows. Cant imagine it being playable still though haha.
                        Well that's what I'm wondering. I'd love to see how it runs with HW physx on nvidia gpu's.

Comment

I was under the impression you didn't really get much benefit with rigid bodies on the GPU.

Comment

Really? I would've imagined it would be faster.

Comment

Spectacular XD

Comment

Working...
                              X