Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dominant Directional Light Atifact

Hi, thats my problem

In this map im using a Dominant directional light movable, i dont know why these happen but i need help!
    Its the third post that I do with these problem *I deleted the others

The propieties of the light are:
    cascade distribution exponent 4
    Num hole scenic dinamic shadows 2
    whole scene dinamic shadow radius 2000

That's because you haven't built the static lighting yet

Comment

but this is a dinamic light only, there arent static shadows and I built the lighting

Comment

Seriously though, don't use ONE SINGLE STATIC MESH as terrain. Use terrain as terrain, you'll get better results.

Comment

I have the same with terrain, this is an example

Comment

You don't have any ambient light in the scene to get rid of those pure dark shadows?

Comment

The "errors" are because of lack of shadow filtering. In the light's properties you have to set adequate filtering level for the light. Then the shadow edges are smoothed, and it should help those errors on angled surfaces.

Comment

What's happening is basically just the shadow catching the extreme slope on the hill side. You can avoid this by rotating the light but I'd think the reason you are using the movable light is to change time of day in which case you will hit extremes at certain points with regards to face normals. In those cases, you will get this side effect.

Take a look at the cascade feature in the dominant light. It allows some shadow lod to deal with this type of thing at distance. So you can control speed vs accuracy a bit in there. At your given distance you will get this artifact to look less bad of course at cost of speed. How much is up to you and your final scene. Also take a look at filter quality and projection technique in the light properties. If you can afford to push those up, then that will help as well. I'm not sure if there are more things that can impact the quality there.

A filter technique I like to use is the BPCF. It's got a dithered look that gets rid of a lot of stepping/aliasing and pushing up filter quality on that can give a decent result. It's kind of like the shadows in Crysis which I think works quite well. This technique is also less harsh on the extreme angles that you see in your given case because there is much less stepping or aliasing in the shadow itself. But it'll never be 100% clean though, it's just the nature of dynamic shadows. They are extremely expensive which means they can't be very accurate.

You can soften the impact of this kind of artifacts but you can't get rid of them.

Hope this helps. I'm not 100% certain of the affect on those huge static mesh, if this will in fact help you or not. I've tried it on the terrain before and it can help in that case but you must test and see if it helps for your scene.

Comment

OH SHI.. now its worse, I used VPCF high and shadow filter quality high

Comment

Looks like you need to play around with the cascade setting a bit. That circle of fine noise you see at the bottom of the pic, that is what you need to widen so you have more accurate shadow around the camera but a bigger radius than this at least.

But, let me say this again. At extreme angles, the shadow will never be "clean". I don't know of any setting that can totally clean up the dynamic shadows and I think if there were, it would probably be extremely slow to render. So, casting really long shadows, like in dusk or dawn will always give some problems I think.

Comment

Ok, I configured the shadows ok.. BUT there is a problem, at one side the lighting looks good but when the light rotate at the other side the lighting have the same problem..

Comment

Working...
                      X