Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to import a map from 3DS Max 8 to UDK as GEOMETRY (preferebly no static mesh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to import a map from 3DS Max 8 to UDK as GEOMETRY (preferebly no static mesh)

I have a map that I made in 3DS Max 8, of a city. After spending countless days making it, I realised something: "what the hell was the point of this? what can I do with it now? All I can do is look at it and show it to people, Ive just wasted so much time and effort"

Two years later I hear about UDK, a year after taking a break from UT3ed, then the idea comes to me: "Hang on! I can make a map in UDK out of this!"

The only question now is: How do I even begin to take a pre made map (no textures) and import it into UDK as geometry that I can apply textures to with the browser (like with BSB), or subtract from/add to intersect etc?

I've tried exporting from 3DS Max as an ASE file, but upon importing it into UDK, it becomes a static mesh with no collision (not what I want at all)

How do I import it as geometry? I cant continue any further with my project now, and I cant find any documentation about how to import a whole map.

Any help from UDK wiz kids would be MUCH appreciated!

Heres a few pics of the city (unfinished):-

I need to get this project going!!!

Why don't you just UV and texture it in Max?

Comment

I dont think there is any function in the UDK to convert a Static Mesh to a BSP, but you could maybe import your 3d scene as one giant static mesh, and then model your BSPs on top of that.

That being said, I would advice against using BSPs for something like an entire city map or even just one building. Mostly because it's just not gonna look optimal, but also because it is a very impractical way of doing it something like this.

Hope I could be to some help to you.

Comment

Yah anything like this will take work, you will have to texture each building and build the level in udk. Use this as more of a layout and just bring in the meshes you can remake the ones that are too dense. Try to keep things modular something like this would be a pain and impossible to do unless it was meant for a low res background prop as one mesh.

Comment

Thanks for the comments! Well, I haven't got the foggiest idea how to create UV and texture maps in 3DS Max (when I made this, I was at my highest level: Just being able to make cool shapes etc). I never got the hang of any of the advanced features like that, although I did learn how to rig and animate a character (now I've forgotten completely though)

Well I guess it wouldn't take too long to export each building as a seperate mesh. I always have trouble setting up collisions with static mesh though, which is the reason I wanted BSP instead (because collision is already set with BSP). I need a little help with collision if anyone knows how to set it up. I know that you can use the mesh editor in UDK to add collision, but its way too inaccurate for my needs (better for simple prisms and other primitive shapes like cubes, but no buildings, cars, lamp-posts etc).

I think I remember a long time ago, when I was using UT3ed, that I made a train car (that you could walk inside) and converted it to an interp-actor so it moved along the straight track, but the way I made the collision (had loads of trouble working it out) by making a volume and adding it to the mesh in the mesh editor as a collision volume.

It was something like that anyway, but if anyone can refresh my memory on how to set up accurate deep collision detection (so the collision boundary is the mesh itself), I'd be REALLY grateful!

I'll have to look into some tutorials later about UV texture mapping (thats a new one for me lol)

Thanks for your ideas and help so far!

peace

Comment

Precise collisions can be set up within 3ds max before you export. All you have to do is using standard primitives mix and match them around your mesh until you have them set up the way you want. You then name each collision primitive with the prefix UCX_ ex UCX_Collision01 export this along with your mesh and UDK automatically sets it as the collision mesh for you. For something like this using a perpoly collision would be a bad idea especially if you plan on having the entire level in one instance and having collisions on every piece. Collision set up takes a lot of work just as UV mapping does, it's one of those not so fun, but important parts of the asset creation process. If you are going to use skeletal meshes with collision then you have to set that up in PHAT it's an entirely different process.

If you are actually going to go through the work to texture this entire level and bring it into UDK I would sit back and think about what you want to do. What will the purpose of this level be? What game types? Any important events that take place? Time, color, culture? If you are serious about learning the art you will need to remake most of your models. Each time you do this they will become better and better. Texturing is a huge process to learn and requires at least 2 or 3 different applications that you probably have yet to use. It will take time don't get discouraged take things in small steps and remember every thing you struggle through is one step closer to completion.

Comment

Working...
            X