A couple editor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple editor questions

Hi! I recently started using UDK and haven't had a real problem until now. It seems that the dynamic shadows from my Door actor (Static mesh component) are going through 2 bsp walls. Not sure what's causing this, and I've tried messing around with a lot of the light properties of my point lights and of the actor itself.

Here's what's happening:

I also just thought of another question and so I thought I put it here Is there anyway to make my BSP cast dynamic shadows from point lights?

P.S. another question is a few posts down.

I had a similar issue... Haven't got back to look for a solution yet but just out of curiosity.. Are those BSPs properly alight on the grid?

Comment

Are those BSPs properly alight on the grid
      Yea I think so (they should be)... I'll double check later though

Comment

Try changing your shadow type from Modulate to Normal.

As far as I know, BSP can't cast dynamic shadows. You don't have access to shadow settings on BSP.. I don't think. You probably have to build your stuff out of static meshes in stead, which can cast dynamic shadows. Although you will run into problems with rendering speed really quickly by using all dynamic shadows.

Comment

Try changing your shadow type from Modulate to Normal.

As far as I know, BSP can't cast dynamic shadows. You don't have access to shadow settings on BSP.. I don't think. You probably have to build your stuff out of static meshes in stead, which can cast dynamic shadows. Although you will run into problems with rendering speed really quickly by using all dynamic shadows.
          Thanks for the response! Changing to normal didn't help.

I now came across another question. I'm editing my level and what I do is I make a cube or whatever then I click CSG Add. Then later I find that I want to move the cube but when I click on the additive brush and move it, it doesn't move the faces. So is there anyway to move the surfaces or do I have to do a CSG Subtract then move the brush and then do another CSG Add?

Comment

Are you rebuilding your level? (Lights and geometry)
            I'm really a beginner myself so I might be totally wrong but your "symptoms" look to me like you are missing that.
            Might be the answer to two of your questions.

About the BSP I don't know. BUT: quite a few guys say you should not or at least very rarely use BSP. Not only is it ugly, it seems to render slower (or something like that, for more detail on this topic, browse the forum). If you like, check the maps shipped with UDK and hide all but BSP. You'll see that there is (close to) nothing to see. As far as I can tell, most bsp is used to block out a level and is replaced by meshes later on in the development process.

Comment

Are you rebuilding your level? (Lights and geometry)
              I'm really a beginner myself so I might be totally wrong but your "symptoms" look to me like you are missing that.
              Well I did forget about the geometry build, but it still doesn't fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X