Falling through static mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling through static mesh?

I have exported a static mesh from 3ds max which is basically lots of rooms connected together with hallways etc.

when i import this in to UDK, rebuild and play, i end up falling through the floors. i have used other game engines which require colliders to be enabled, which i have tried to do in UDK via the mesh properties and also the material properties, but this has no effect.

Any help would be welcomed.

thanks

You need a collision mesh. Read the docs

Comment

thanks, i had tried the K-DOP method described in the documentation but when i did this now every time i did play from here i would die instantly..

do i need to be looking more towards creating my collision mesh in 3ds instead?

Comment

Inside the content browser, go to your floor mesh. Double click it. A window should pop up with your mesh. In the top, go to Collision. Under that, click auto-convex and hit OK. You shouldn't fall through the floors now.

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
          Inside the content browser, go to your floor mesh. Double click it. A window should pop up with your mesh. In the top, go to Collision. Under that, click auto-convex and hit OK. You shouldn't fall through the floors now.
          this too causes me to die instantly when using auto convex - currently the mesh is a complete set, instead of individual objects, so when i apply the collision it will be applied to the walls, floors and ceilings etc.. is that bad?

Comment

This is convex/concave issue and for simple hallways and rooms, sometimes, the collision mesh can get more complex than the walls itself. So it's better not to export any collision object with your mesh and in static mesh editor in UDK, simply check off "Use Simple Box Collision"

Comment

do you know of any tutorials which might simplify the explination for me?

im having lots of trouble with the auto convex method and dont really understand the documentation for using mesh colliders.

when unchecking use simple box collision didnt change the end result. I think the problem is that the collision mesh is taking place throught the entire room, rather then just the walls/floors etc and leaving the inner 'room' untouched. but i could be completly wrong, i usually am!

Comment

Make your collision model in your 3D package and export that, because the autogenerated models make an hull. So you're inside that hull and die...

Read the docs. Well what was the term us boys use? RTFM ?

F.e. copy your building in your 3D package, name the copy UCX_nameoforiginal, and export the model and its collision model.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CollisionReference.html
                http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Stati...UserGuide.html
                http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXIm...UserGuide.html

Comment

Originally posted by dayvo View Post
                  do you know of any tutorials which might simplify the explination for me?

im having lots of trouble with the auto convex method and dont really understand the documentation for using mesh colliders.

when unchecking use simple box collision didnt change the end result. I think the problem is that the collision mesh is taking place throught the entire room, rather then just the walls/floors etc and leaving the inner 'room' untouched. but i could be completly wrong, i usually am!
                  Unchecking "use simple box collison" works with every mesh. Did you makes sure you only exported your walls and no UCX collision mesh? Perhaps the problem is your scale. If your room is smaller than your character, you would die instantly. Or if you placed your player start in the walls, it could have this effect as well. Or you have set killz which is above your level? Many possibilities and these are all very basic stuff which should be explained by going through all the basic docs and tutorials.

Comment

Thanks for everyones help and patients

Comment

Got it to work?

Comment

What I believe the real problem is, is that you've probably modelled a whole set of corridors and such as a single mesh. This is inefficient within the game engine from many perspectives, and should be avoided. It would make more sense to break it down into individual wall / floor (etc) meshes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post
                          Got it to work?
                          I haven't had a chance to try yet, away from my normal pc at the moment. But I now understand why I need to do it, and how. I look forward to giving it a try tomorrow!

Originally posted by ambershee
                          What I believe the real problem is, is that you've probably modelled a whole set of corridors and such as a single mesh. This is inefficient within the game engine from many perspectives, and should be avoided. It would make more sense to break it down into individual wall / floor (etc) meshes instead.
                          the mesh comes out of 3ds/c4d in segments, but when I imported it into UDK I selected combine meshes to make it easier to place as it has a lot of parts. Perhaps this is part of the problem also, I'll try it without selecting this. Thanks

is that a general rule that combining meshes is bad, or only for a larger sized mesh?

Comment

Working...
                          X