Are speedtree suppose to look like this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are speedtree suppose to look like this

I'm pretty new to speedtree and I'm trying it out in UDK. Are the billboards supposed to look like this?

I tried all settings and couldn't managed to get the billboard to look any less retarded than it is atm. The right side tree is the stock tree that came with UDK, while the left is a built from scratch tree.

So are there any way to make billboard looks better, at the moment, the edges are really really sharp when posed on the sky as background.

from a generic standpoint Billboards can look like anything. All Billboards are are planes that face the player at all times. Generally billboards are of low detail and are used to take the place of expensive high detailed actors. I don't know about speed tree, but perhaps it's trying to give you the low end uglys and expects you to keep them at a distance.

For research (if no one more educated comes to help) Red Orchestra and Oblivion are games with great billboarding on terrain.

Comment

No. You have problems with your textures (TEXTURES, not materials). Try to play with texture settings. I really do not remember which one to change, but you try it yourself.

Comment

Iniside is talking about the Dither Mip-Map option when you import a speed tree texture.

Comment

ahh okay... tried it...

it looked a bit better. but still looked very messed up, mainly because of the lighting, can't seem to get it close to the billboards in oblivion. Anyone knows the recommended texture settings. been trying a few settings up to now.

Comment

what's with the lighting? I wonder is there a solution to this or do we have to strategically place speedtrees at a vaguely lighted area.

Comment

Are you using a pointlight to light your scene?

Comment

Originally posted by Daiboken View Post
                Are you using a pointlight to light your scene?
                nope. I'm using dominant directional as the sun. Is that recommended?

Comment

Dominant Directional is the one you want to use, yeah.

Comment

Have you hooked up normals to your billboards? Might give a bit more shape from the light, that and you could darken the billboard material a little.

When you have a populated scene with lots of assets you wont notice them so much.

Comment

I'm actually having the same problem. I have proper normal map in the material also.
                      And yes, dominant directional light is lighting the level.

Comment

Billboards are supposed to be just flat surfaces always pointing player's way so what you see at the shot is pretty much what you get.The same thing happens in oblivion and/or other games that make extent use of the speedtree tech. Like A_Rabbit said when more of those trees will be added you shouldn't notice those lighting details. If the trees are supposed to be just distant land actors I'd recommend using low poly static meshes instead. Personally, for distant areas that need to be populated with trees, I just use two flat surfaces 90 degs crossed to each other that make use of the same tree texture.
                        Better performance, and some short of tree "shape" makes the scene looking more realistic.

Comment

yes I did hooked it to normal mapping. wonder why is it like that.

Comment

is it possible that all of this is caused by Billboard using Atlas? and thus making the resolution too small?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
                              Billboards are supposed to be just flat surfaces always pointing player's way so what you see at the shot is pretty much what you get.The same thing happens in oblivion and/or other games that make extent use of the speedtree tech. Like A_Rabbit said when more of those trees will be added you shouldn't notice those lighting details. If the trees are supposed to be just distant land actors I'd recommend using low poly static meshes instead. Personally, for distant areas that need to be populated with trees, I just use two flat surfaces 90 degs crossed to each other that make use of the same tree texture.
                              Better performance, and some short of tree "shape" makes the scene looking more realistic.
                              ThePriest909,
                              Is it possible you could post an example? I am having this same problem myself and really want to put trees in the distance that the player won't interact with.

Comment

Working...
                              X