Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overlapping HeightFog?

hey guys!

Quick question for all you fog gurus out there.

I have been looking up on height fog over at Hourences site, and he explains that more than one height fog actor can be used in a map, and that they will blend together.

Well, I added two of them to my map. One is darker than the other, and lower down. Where they meet there is a very nasty "line". Here is what it looks like.

Hopefully this image explains everything

Does anyone know how I would get the fogs to smoothly blend into one another? or is this not possible with heightfog.

I tried using other kinds of fog, but none of them looked very nice. This is a map-wide fog effect btw.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Yeah, Heightfog always looks that way, AFAIK.

They blend together when you are above or below them, but if they are anywhere near eye-level with the player you will see those "planes" of fog at the level that the actor was placed.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodReyvyn View Post
      Yeah, Heightfog always looks that way, AFAIK.

They blend together when you are above or below them, but if they are anywhere near eye-level with the player you will see those "planes" of fog at the level that the actor was placed.
      doh!

So no hope of getting a nice "falloff" effect?

Can you suggest an alternative method?

Comment

Use multiple height fog actors to create a smoother transition. There doesn't seem to be any real performance penalty for doing so. I used four quite merrily in UT3 once.

Comment

Try
          Fog Volumes + Fog Volume Meshes + Fog Volume Materials
          Not only can you get a nice gradient through that material but also make the fog animated - cloud like, dust like...

Comment

^ This does work, but I'm not sure how useful it is in Alex's case, since I'm assuming from his project, that he's essentially trying to simulate loss of light in a deep water environment.

Comment

Having a fog material with gradient and color similar to the his second screenshot applied to a proper mesh (maybe a sphere with,just in case, 2 UV channels - one cylindrical, one Z-planar) and attaching that mesh to let’s say FogVolumeLinearHalfspaceDensityInfo (there are some other fog volumes to choose from) would simulate the water depth "fog" as far the view angle goes. Looking up would reveal bright fog and looking down would reveal dark blue color. How this setup would work with different player position (especially in z-axis) - that should be tested. But even here a fog material could be constructed to get desirable result (maybe using the world position material node if I recall correctly)

Comment

Working...
              X