save/checkpoint creation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

save/checkpoint creation.

My map is a series of puzzles, many of which can result in death. How do i make it so they don't have to go back to the beginning if they fail a puzzle, jsut go back to a checkpoint. I tried to move the spawn actor... was i on the right track? or what do you want to do

This is kind of the poor man's version, but if you wanted to do it all in Kismet:
    • Create an int variable. Drop a note in the level everywhere you want the player to respawn
    • When the player crosses a trigger or completes a puzzle or whatever your checkpoint condition is, set that variable. I personally like multiples of 10 in case I want to add more later.
    • On player death, spawn them in an enclosed box with a matinee that keeps the screen faded out.
    • Check the value stored in your int, teleport the player to the correct note.

Comment

or you can place lots of playerstarts, and have them all disabled except for one, and when the player progress have triggers turn off the old playerstart and enable the new one you want the player to spawn from. triggers can be volumes or whatever u like

Comment

Make sure other PlayerStart actors that you add are OFF by default by changing their bEnabled value to False (unchecked) like so:

Then, you will need a TriggerVolume placed just before or just after the PlayerStart it is associated with and set up a Kismet Sequence as follows:

(copied and pasted the following comment from my PhotoBucket page since I figured this subject would come up again)

A very simple UDK Kismet setup for toggling ON a New PlayerStart, then shutting OFF the original. All you need to do is add a trigger volume, select it, then right-click the Kismet Window and go to New Event Using TriggerVolume...blah. Make sure there are no holes that the player could possibly "sneak around" the volume or they could miss a checkpoint. Adversly, you may want the player to have to find the checkpoints, so shape it to fit the area. Optionally, you can also make another TriggerVolume just beyond the new spawn point that turns the first TriggerVolume(the one that toggles the playerstarts) OFF, so that players cannot come back through the level and accidentally trigger old checkpoints.

Comment

Using multiple playerstarts works too. The nice thing about keeping a single playerstart and teleporting the player is that you can reset your puzzles on player death. If you puts each puzzle room into its own stream layer, you can unload/reload the level on death. Once everything is loaded back in, teleport the player, fade back up, and restart the puzzle from the beginning.

Comment

Does anyone know how Gears of War does it?

Comment

Working...
            X