space question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    thats a good idea. what i would like to do is create a game as said but with some of the ideas borrowed from x3tc freelancer for the space and sticking with good old UT3 for ground based playing with the ability to lock onto a target kinda like metroid prime. its mostly just for fun as i said. but if it looks like it may go somewhere who knows.

right now im looking at putting out some large maps. and im not sure that udk can make them large enough for me so ill have to work around that. maybe make the stations insides separate maps as i would like to have cites inside them, with wonderful views of space as well as life going on on the outside like ships passing by or docking.

but i want to have as much going on in space as there would be in the stations or on the planets.

right now im just conceptualizing and getting thoughts together.

thinking about making it a sandbox game with random missions given by people. I dont know its just some ideas.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well, my game doesn't cover nearly as large distances, it takes place in a space station. I'm just at the moment starting to use the new movable dominant directional light attached to the sphere (which is rotating) to make it seem like the space station is spinning in space.. it works beautifully. The shadows all move and everything. Only problem is the lense flare fades out as it rotates with the sphere

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes that was one of the thoughts i had too. this is a side project im working on as i need a break from my game being only 1 of 2 working on it atm and not getting anything out of my partner cause of his schedule god i feel bad for him. but either way i need some distraction and a space shooter sounded fun. i may go some where with it i may not but either way it should be fun.

now is your sphere stationary or does it follow your ship around? i was thinking of doing something along the lines of freelancer only being able to actually get out and walk around. this is mostly an exercise tho so im not going to get to deep with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've actually just done this. I made a simple sphere, but automatically UVed so sections of the sphere get a good non distorted UVs but random rotation. Then I made a material which is just stars (noise filter in photoshop with contrast upped many times) with a panning texture multiplied so they kind of twinkle, and, and apply it so it looks like deep space with lots if crisp stars.

I tried using a large space texture made for skydomes, but compression was horrible. I also use half sphere meshes with additive materials to put nebulas and stuff around on the inside of the main sphere. Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• started a topic space question

space question

if i was going to make an area of space like in eve online how would i go about setting it up? mostly im talking about the skybox and whatnot.
Working...
X