Poor Static Shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Static Shadows

So I'm on the March build of UDK, and I'm not all too use to the editor side of things, I'm primarily on the side of modeling and texturing nad all that jazz.

However, it's nice to be able to import my work into the editor and check it out and see how it looks in-game, this includes with lighting and with shadows. However, my shadows aren't working, for what would seem to be both UT3 statics and my own custom ones.

I've set my BSP's Lightmap Resolution to 1.0 as that seems to be for "best" quality, and then I set my static to 32-64 on their Lightmap Resolution. I do have a seperate lightmap UV channel and all that. Before Lightmass came out my stuff seemed to of worked fine, so I'm assuming it's just an improperly setup map or something. Any help would be appreciated.

The grate/grid style window is UT3's static, obviously the man is theres too (as a skeletal mesh) and the cardboard box is my custom imported mesh.

I can't see the problem

Comment

Yeah, looks fine to me, yo'.

Comment

If you want sharper shadows I suggest either turning down the ShadowExponent (Lightmass tab) on the light or using a DominantPointLight. Right now it looks like it is supposed to, bounced lighting and all.

Comment

Yeah, sorry. I was a little tired lastnight, I forgot to mention that I was basically just looking for really sharp and noticable shadows. Like the Skeletal Mesh in the image.

But! Switching to a DominantPointLight and playing with the ShadowExponent has gotten me a little closer to what I need, so thanks.

May I ask what the difference is in the regular Pointlight and a DominantPointLight that effects shadows so much? Playing around with other lights such as PointLightToggleable and such bring me back to the same issue, where shadows aren't clear and crisp once again like the Skeletal Mesh is in the images, obviously I don't want to waste too much memory on ALL shadows looking as good as skeletal mesh, but it would be nice to have control (for atmosphere) when wanted.

I'm assuming the "bouncing" of lighting is causing most of the shadows to dampen/lighten up.

Comment

Working...
          X