accurate shoreline reflection in the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ok, something not covered well in that tutorial was setting the rendertexture that is generating the reflection as the texture sample in the reflection part of the material.

Works now.

He says "Now this texture sample we still need to create, and will reference the reflection plane previously created in the scene."

Then he goes on showing you how to create it, but never circles back around and says to plug it into the material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so I've gone through this myself, and I can't get any kind of reflection at all. Everything else looks great!

Screen align did nothing regardless if it was checked or not.

I'm using the last May '12 build.

I had to tweak some of the tiling and panning settings to fit my world (trying to do a river), but as far as the reflection goes, nothing works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry for the hating previously, that was noob frustration. It seems I had the same screen align un-ticked box issue.

I've been slammed with work since may (and it's not letting up anytime soon), but I have found some time this thxgiving weekend and have rebuilt the shader. It worked!!!!

Unfortunately, the shader did not have the overall look and color of what I wanted. I did mess with UDK in my spare time the last half a year, and have a much better understanding of the diff nodes in the MAT editor now.

I ended up splicing together hoursences and chrisalbeluhn tutorials and got the best of both worlds now!! The color/wave/pattern of chris' tut, and the reflection and opacity of hoursences tut. Rock!

My level is getting dangerously close to being done (albeit at a snail's pace, due to work). I will post all the worthwhile stuff and shader builds when I am fully done with this level.

Thanks all,
    Gera

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Count_de_Money View Post
    Did you check the "Screen Align" in your ScreenPos node?
    Yes, that did the trick, thanks a lot! There's always got to be one check box left unselected...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Did you check the "Screen Align" in your ScreenPos node?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have the very same problem.

I completed the same tutorial carefully step by step, and was googling around for a solution when I stumbled upon this thread.

Material is, for some reason, totally green and the reflected surface is just a little square in the middle of it. Also, there is some strange lines and distortion going on.

Here's some pics:

Material Editor:
    http://www.amppiworks.com/downloads/matedit.JPG

Content Browser: Texture is mostly green, this gotta have something to do with the problem, or is it supposed to show up like that?
    http://www.amppiworks.com/downloads/content.JPG

Reflector Actor properties
    http://www.amppiworks.com/downloads/actor.JPG

Editor View
    http://www.amppiworks.com/downloads/edit.JPG

Instead of using a BSP plane as the tutorial suggest, I went with FluidSurfaceActor... Could that have something to do with it?

Anyone got any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea, OK, maybe I will rebuild it today.. and upload it.

Thx,
    G

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you want to look upload your material (Screenshot or rar), I'll have a look when I wake up tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes I did. The pond snapshot was done with a cube map, which was my first attempt to get a reflection going, and setting up the actor was the same, so that part I got. It's the shader itself that screws me up...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah sorry, number 2 is the right one to use. Did you hook it up to your Scene Capture actor via the Scene capture actor's properties?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, there is no 'render to texture' when I right click in the content browser...

There are:

1) new texture cube
    2) new textureRenderTarget2D
    3) new texture RenderTargetCube

maybe this is my mistake, but then where do I find renderToTexture? For the tutorial, I had used #2, since it looked exactly as the image in the tut, I assumed the naming got changed as new UDK builds came out.

G

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did that "control +" thing, it just starts getting blurry after a certain point.

Yes, I linked the reflect actor to the render to texture.

And if you look at the 'big picture', there are a few nodes, next to the 'distortion' comment box that are not described or shown anywhere in the tutorial. And like I said, there is no close-up on where all these nodes plug into on the material. After doing hourences' tut, I can pretty much figure out where to plug in the distortion, opacity, color, etc, but still I had no good result with chris' tut. I got so frustrated with this that I had deleted the tut shader and I am not going to rebuild it again at this point.

I appreciate your offer to help, but right now I just want to concentrate on the rest of the level, finish my assets, get the lighting right, animate stuff, etc.

Maybe in a week or two, I will be up for trying this one more time, but really, I need to actually understand how these nodes work and what each of them does, so I am not just blindly following a tutorial.

If there is a video tutorial for building a water shader (with reflections) I would love a link, but I think if there was I would have found it by now... since I found both hourences and chrisalbeluhn tuts before they were recommended to me here, just haven't done them until I needed the water material (or intimidated... I guess)

Thanks,
    Gera

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Did you link the scene capture reflect actor in your level to the render to texture (the green thing) in your generic browser? They need to know what to do otherwise it'll stay green. I don't know how you can't see the values, if you scroll down the page, not only does he enlarge each segment of the material, but he provides the values in a text format. If you, for some reason, still can't read it, press ctrl and + to enlarge the screen.

If you get stuck after that, post what you're stuck on here, I'll try and help where I can.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tried to follow the tutorial... epic fail. All I see reflecting in the water is the "green". I have triple checked all my values and they all match to the tutorial's data. I can't click to enlarge any tutorial images and it took me a lot of squinting to figure out all the numbers (not all of them were written below the images!). At some point, the nodes started to not look like the ones in the tut, and no matter how many times I went back to check it (and my numbers matched to what was given in the tut), I could not get the same result. Also, when you look at the full shader pic, you can see some nodes that are not explained nor illustrated in the tutorial, and the pic is so small, you have no idea what they are or where they are plugged into.

I am just too nub to troubleshoot this kind of a complex shader, and guessing games won't get me anywhere, just kill a bunch of time. I will just stick with hourences' shader. The tutorial was well put together, clear images, easy to read numbers and it came with the textures needed to complete the tut.

Having no reflections sucks... but at least I have something... sorry for the aggression, but I just wasted 4 hours trying to make this shader and get it to work...

For shader nubs like me, I suggest Hourences.com tutorial, if you actually want water that works and is easy to understand.

`

Gera

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A lot of good tutorials on the link that Piranhi has posted, have watched all of them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X