'Terrain Visibility' Holes are HUGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    if you really really really can't make it smaller I'd suggest leaving it like that, then filling it with a much smaller Terrain object, tesselated to the maximum you can and making holes on it too. since it'll be much much smaller, the minimum size you'll be able to put into a hole will be way smaller
    of course it won't be easy to make the mesh/textures match perfectly (specially when LOD kicks in) but it's better than nothing. you could also fill the gap between the 2 terrains with static meshes in there too

btw thanks for coming up with the problem/question, I too will come into it in a not-so-distant future and now I've got my own answer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can you poke a hole with tess settings minimalized and then raise the tesselation? What effect would that have?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Afaik the size of the visibility hole is as large as the most not-tessellated terrain quad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am now having the exact same problem as the opening post. The only way I can remove small chunks of terrain is to increase the number of patches as hight as 512, but I do not know what effect this would have on optimization later on.....can anyone shed some light on the number of patches property?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Surround the entrance with static meshes of rocks and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if the player(s) doesn't actually go close enough to the cave to actually inspect the cave you could just place the mesh(s) on the terrain.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My Min Tes Level is at 1; Max Tes Level is at 8. I guess that is the smallest hole I can get. The cave was just a thought, I can live without it. I'll come up with something else. I just want to understand how to make it work.

Thanks,
    G

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Change the min/max tessellation level, putting the Min tessellation level to 1 will give you the smallest gaps.

The one next to max component size I could see where it was in my head, I just couldn't remember what it was called lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I too would like to understand this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tried it, doesn't work...

Thx. Keep the suggestions coming,
    Gera

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's a setting in the properties of the terrain, I'm building atm, but I think it's something like max component size, or around there.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic 'Terrain Visibility' Holes are HUGE

'Terrain Visibility' Holes are HUGE

Hi all,

I am trying to make a hole for a cave. It will not be entered, I just want people to have the feeling that there's more to the level, than there is. My tessellation is quite high - 1 step from max. But when I try to punch a hole in the terrain, it is GIANT!!! This is what a single click does (yes, my brush radius is small):

Is there a way to control the size of this?

Thanks,
    Gera
Working...
X