Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bsp Blocking

Geez...

In Hammer you can select edges so easily (in vertex editing mode). When you cut brushes, new geometry is rebuilt instantly. You can see the model in wireframe and reshape it and everything with the texture rendered in perspective view. When you cut the brushes, the origin (pivot in udk) automatically resets to the brush centre - making it easy, if you're trying to mirror geometry, to precisely cut brushes in half and clone them, then reclone and reclone, etc. You can instantly rescale brushes - just grab the brush and move it or resize it (no need to go into "translation mode" or whatever).

You can't do any of this stuff in UDK. I can't even find a way to reset the origin/pivot on a cloned brush to its precise centre. It seems like they want you to awkwardly reposition the builder brush into place every time you want to build any new brush. I guess brush order is a huge deal in UDK. Too bad it's so easy in Hammer.

Now I know why they stress modelling everything in max or maya in UnrealEd - the tools in the UDK editor itself are clumsy at best.

If you say so. I have been using UEd since UT3 came out and never had any issues with BSP....

...Also, brush order is a really easy concept to understand.

I don't know what exactly this post was supposed to try and accomplish, looks more like a childish rant than anything coherent.

"Outdated Engine A's Editor is so much better, blah, blah"

If you don't like it, don't use it. /shrug

Comment

Yea, because Source renders stuff like brushes a lot faster and can have huge worlds like in UT 3 or other UE 3 games... oh wait.

Comment

yep
        i find myself using mainly static meshes because of that

Comment

Or perhaps it's because people use Static Meshes for over 95% of their maps now. If you want to produce levels out of BSP then you're looking at the wrong engine, sure it can do it, but it's made for meshes which look so much better.

It sounds like you've come from using just one engine, and you've got used to Hammer's way of building, which is very outdated. There is also UDN [http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html] which you should look at if you're stuck.

Comment

Well, let's face it, the guy is right. BSP in Unreal is hideously clumsy compared to Source.

On the other hand, absolutely everything else in Source is hideously clumsy compared to Unreal.

I've come from Source and it's a tradeoff I'm managing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
              Yea, because Source renders stuff like brushes a lot faster and can have huge worlds like in UT 3 or other UE 3 games... oh wait.
              Was talking about the basic modelling operations, not rendering open worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
                Or perhaps it's because people use Static Meshes for over 95% of their maps now. If you want to produce levels out of BSP then you're looking at the wrong engine, sure it can do it, but it's made for meshes which look so much better.

It sounds like you've come from using just one engine, and you've got used to Hammer's way of building, which is very outdated. There is also UDN [http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html] which you should look at if you're stuck.
                All I want to do is block out a simple level. Later on we can import the meshes for huge decorative geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodReyvyn View Post
                  If you don't like it, don't use it. /shrug
                  Such a good attitude toward improvement.

Comment

Someone edited the title of this thread.

Comment

Did you ask a question or made a statement?

If you're looking for a brush modelling tool, note that UnrealEd is the worst possible solution. Hammer is much better, because the obsolete Source engine relies on this type of objects, while unreal engine relies on static meshes - that basically, have the same role like brushes and props in the Valve's engine.

You may be confused about the brush term but quake-like convex polyhedrons and unreal brushes are not the same.

So, you can either accept how it works or switch to static mesh modeling application where you can deform polygons or vertices as you want.

Comment

If you don't like BSP, convert it to static mesh. Problem solved.
                        BSP in UE really needs a fresh approach if you're jumping in right from Quake derivatives, you should really take the time to watch the video tutorials first.

Also, most level design packages (that I know of) can export to .obj you can convert later to .ase so you don't need to drop your old tools if you really can't get used to UDK style geometry 'sculpting'. Before you ask, yes - I did that and it works without trouble.

I just don't agree with the stand that BSP in Unreal is 'worse', it's just different from what people are used to. Myself, I feel okay with UDK's brush handling methods so it really depends on your design tastes.

Comment

Different engines different ways of handling stuff, i like both of them. And nearly everyone here would tell you that its better to use static meshes instead of BSP. And the reason why is simple, you have way more options to control the look and feel of your model in a 3d app like 3ds or Maya then in UnrealED or Hammer. Ok i know the way you can block out your level in Source is much faster then in UnrealED but at the end you have nearly the same amount of work to finish it.

Comment

Working...
                          X