Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
    He said "grass texture" and I assumed that the question was about footsteps.
    You were correct Priest, thanks for the replies guys.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He said "grass texture" and I assumed that the question was about footsteps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Physical materials will only work for footstep sounds and not for when the pawn passes through a mesh. While you can certainly use these by placing a suitable material underneath your foliage, this is not an accurate representation and has painful limits; consider that you may want to place foliage on different surfaces, or have surfaces that are only partiall covered in foliage. Using the physical material will not work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No need for scripting or Kismet. Like Socrates said you can create physX materials and attach them to your shader materials. Each PhysX material can trigger specific audio samples.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you were on the right track with the physical material, I'm not sure if you can apply the physical material in some way to the material for your grass, but if you have the ground that the grass is on as a static mesh you can use the physical material, pick a soundcue from content browser and put it into the slot in the physical material etc. scripting might be easier .. this would make whatever ground you have your grass on look very strange, but for other uses it would work..metal bridge etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can't 'attach a sound to a texture' - and moreover meshes don't use textures, they use materials (shaders). Physical materials are used to determine footstep sounds when the player is walking on top of that material, and the noise that may be made by impacts from weapons or rigid bodies.

If you want a grass mesh to make noise when the player touches it, you'll have to script an actor that does exactly that. In theory, you could also do this in kismet, but for obvious reasons, doing this for a large number of grass meshes is simply impractical.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic How do I apply a soundcue to a texture?

How do I apply a soundcue to a texture?

If I wanted to add my own sound of grass to a grass texture, where would I attach it? I have seen some sound slots for certain properties in the physical materials, but they are all empty slots.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks
Working...
X