Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material: Need feedback on lava

Hi everyone,
    Let me start off with this is my first ever experience with building, texture and material generation - I'm normally busy coding. So please be gentle.

After having studied a few tutorials on this subject I decided to give this part (or rather science, heh) of game creation a stab, just for kicks while working on a design doc. My first experiment was creating a lava/volcano-ish zone with the terrain generator (please disregard the physical impossible layout in the screens), all materials are custom made.

http://i41.tinypic.com/afc6j8.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2ew32ir.jpg
    edit: ugh, horrible format - img tag removed to save the thread

Thoughts on how to improve them? I think they look too flat - this is an issue with my normal map most likely, right? Am I too old school, or should lava rather be made as a liquid you can interact with, somewhat?

The viscosity of lava defines how liquid like it is. Don't worry about that. It looks good in that sense. But you could make some parts of the material emissive.

Comment

Not bad, much better then I can do yet ^.^.Try adding it to a fluid surface actor, that would help with the interactiveness. Also is there any animation to the material? Some movement would look pretty sweet.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I'll try playing with the viscosity and emissive, adding a few ponds of fluid surface actors sounds like a plan - great ideas! There's no animation on the material yet, but when I learn more I'll give it a stab - however, would it be better (both in display and/or performance) to simply let the animation be 'faked' by toying with the reflections/emissivness(sp?) on the materials?

Something regarding lightning, I've only been able to generate lights that cycle at sine and cosine intervals - how do you guys go about adding nice to give it a little more random and realistic feel? (apologies if it's covered in a tutorial, I'm currently at work and typing this in my break)

Finally, I must say my respect for level designers have grown exponential as I dig more and more into this subject - I'm used to being a 100% code cuddler (in terms of game coding - Quake 1-3 mods mostly), so I wasn't aware how much work this aspect really is.

Comment

Well, I don't know much about making materials yet so im just spouting out ideas :P You could add some panning or rotating textures or something to help make the lava look like its moving around a bit, which will make it look more fluid. Some emissivness would be pretty cool as well.

Comment

The game in my sig has a Lava Material.
            Looks good up close but obviously tiles when viewed at distance.
            I modified the green bio-gun material to make it red and then I added a severely cracked road texture with a alpha channel to use for creating a crusty top.
            I created a slow pan for each part in different directions for the movement.
            Then I tweaked it and tweaked it and tweaked it etc.

Comment

10/10 for Deadmau5

Comment

Looks good, they had a tutorial on how to do lava material in the first Mastering Unreal 3 books.

Comment

Working...
                X