Speedtree Weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedtree Weirdness

I have been getting some really weird SpeedTree behavior post UDK-Feb. I can sorta get LOD stuff working, but only when the speedtree is selected in the editor! See video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6kVoN80lY

Also, at the end of the video, notice the flickering of the speedtree leaf cards. This also started with the Feb build... and yes, I rebuilt lighting.

Anyone else having this issue?

Here's my material setup:

... and lighting variables:

... and an example of messed up lighting:

Comment

is the tree overlapping another object?

Comment

Same problem here, glad SOMEBODY else is having it :P
        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=720642

Comment

Originally posted by smerf1 View Post
          is the tree overlapping another object?
          Nope, I've deleted it and placed a new one. It almost looks like the LODs are overlapping each other... wacky.

Originally posted by Tom Shannon View Post
          Same problem here, glad SOMEBODY else is having it :P
          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=720642
          Yeah, this thing has me baffled. It worked fine prior to Feb. I thought maybe it had something to do with the screen door fade feature they added, but disabling it didn't fix the problem.

Comment

Why are you adding the white diffuse channel with the vertex colour node? It's not needed in order to have masked materials.

Comment

the diffuse alpha is used with the vertex color so the speedtree dithers between the mesh and billboard, I just followed the instructions here:
              http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/SpeedTree.html

Comment

Ah, didn't know that, must try it myself :f

Comment

Never had that issue, but it must be something with your LOD setup, try fiddling with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastenator View Post
                    Never had that issue, but it must be something with your LOD setup, try fiddling with it.
                    True. It seems that your LOD settings are set up so, that your tree has polygonreduction at short range. You'll need to change some settings!

Comment

Try to adjust the LOD setting while creating the tree in Speedtree

Comment

Originally posted by Beastenator View Post
                        It only happens when I try the LOD override (LOD = -1), I'm guessing that's typically not done by most since the default setting is 1.0.

Originally posted by timotees View Post
                        True. It seems that your LOD settings are set up so, that your tree has polygonreduction at short range. You'll need to change some settings!
                        That is intentional so I can actually observe the effects of LOD, the issue is that the LOD is not occurring correctly regardless of range.

Originally posted by LeECO View Post
                        Try to adjust the LOD setting while creating the tree in Speedtree
                        Thanks, but this is just the stock tree that comes with speedtree so it seems like it should work fine.

Comment

same problem here

Comment

Working...
                          X