Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive shadowing

Hey all,

This is a pretty simple scene and I thought I have done what is needed based on the tuts I have read and other threads. I have a directionaldominant light in the scene. The skydome has shadows turned off, in the world properties I have tried this with AO on and off, GI is on. There is a importancevolume in place, yet I get these insanely bad shadows over the rock face mesh and basically the whole scene is pretty dark.

The mesh is a plane in max with some vertex pulled, UV mapped and the texture created in PS, imported into UDK and made into a material, applied to the mesh.

Any ideas on how to tweak the lighting to get a better outdoor feel to it.

Sort of kills my momentum a little when the first large mesh I put in looks like a dog ****!

Any ideas?

S.

aswell as your direction dominant use a skylight aswell

Comment

Better than a skylight, apply ambient light in the world properties. Skylights are hemispherical and don't colour from all directions evenly.

Comment

I had a similar problem. The fix:

Change the modulated shadow colour in your Directional Light>properties>lighting to grey; try increasing the amount of indirect lighting in the properties>lightmass section; rebuild your lighting.

Hope it helps!

Comment

Great, I will try the various options out when I am back in front of the correct machine.

Appreciate the replies.

S.

Comment

Working...
          X