Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a huge map

Hello everyone!

I want to create a really huge map. By really huge i mean the one you would take like an hour of running to reach the other side. (RPG type game)

What I was wondering is there any downfalls to this and will the game behave as expected for this kind of large-scale map?

Also, is it necessary enclose the map inside of a huge box, as seen in most of the terrain tutorials?

Depends on how you do it. if you make a huge terrain its going to eat up alot and i mean alot of memory. you can make maps in additive mode where you dont need to close them in. what you will need to end up doing is makeing alot of smaller maps and stream them in. set up some map streaming volumes to trigger the stream from one map to another. i am working on an rpg style my self. and i want to avoid useing load screens as well. i dont know about running for an hr but im sure its possible.

Comment

Oh thats not a problem. Just make map 512x512 and scale 256, and decreease Pawn Speed from normal 440 to something like 200. At least 440 is way to much for RPG game anyway .

Comment

Yes speed should be of a lot lower value. Around 200-300 like you said.

Personally I like the idea of creating zones with triggers on boundaries that would load the next zone if player decides to venture there. Of course player's condition should be taken into notice (like combat state) not to lag him too much during the preloading.

How would you create those zones? Do you make them as separate levels or is it recommended to create the whole map in 1 piece.
        Is it even possible to patch up several separated zones into 1 big map?

PS thanks for quick replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mittzir View Post
          Yes speed should be of a lot lower value. Around 200-300 like you said.

Personally I like the idea of creating zones with triggers on boundaries that would load the next zone if player decides to venture there. Of course player's condition should be taken into notice (like combat state) not to lag him too much during the preloading.

How would you create those zones? Do you make them as separate levels or is it recommended to create the whole map in 1 piece.
          Is it even possible to patch up several separated zones into 1 big map?

PS thanks for quick replies.
          map streaming does most the work for you. you create seperate maps load the persistant map up and then load the maps up in the content browser under level manager. set your map streaming volumes up to stream the levels in as you enter them. after you have the zones set up of course. basicly you can load multiple levels into your persistant level like a static mesh sort of. these levels can be edited even tho you dont have that level loaded out right. as soon as you bring it in the persistant level its editable. you can acctualy move the whole level around and place it where you like. and any changes made can be saved directly to that static mesh. there is a great tute on 3dbuzz.com that explanes how to set it up. just tinker with it abit and you should figure it out pretty strate away.

here is the vid.
          http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_showvideo.php?v=3716

Comment

/bow

Thanks a lot, mate. That's awesome news.

Comment

Working...
            X