Lightmap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmap questions

Ok so I have been hearing some mixed reviews about this subject.

Some people say you need to create a seperate UV channel for you;re lightmaps for static meshes in the UDK.

Others say this is no longer needed, because of the way it will calculate with lightmass.

So my question is which one is right......

"Some people say you need to create a seperate UV channel for you;re lightmaps for static meshes in the UDK"
    That's the way to go.

Comment

How exactly will this work, do I just need to assign a sub material with two texture channels and export?

Comment

Originally posted by apophis3d View Post
        How exactly will this work, do I just need to assign a sub material with two texture channels and export?
        You simply have to create an additional "non-overlapping" UV channel that lightmass will use as its empty canvas.
        Check this article for more info: http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmap.htm

Comment

Just out of interest,if your texture UV map was unique without overlapping poly's could you not use that as the light map UV so only needing 1 set of UV's ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosrik View Post
            Just out of interest,if your texture UV map was unique without overlapping poly's could you not use that as the light map UV so only needing 1 set of UV's ?
            If you already have such UVs, you won't need another uv channel/set.

In fact, UV islands may overlap - lightmap won't be correctly saved in these areas but they must be within the 0-1 bound.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, does not sound to hard to do.

Comment

Working...
              X