Simulate Moving Volumetric Clouds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulate Moving Volumetric Clouds?

I did a search for this and the closest things that came up was a UT2k4 thread and a UT3 thread that never got a usable answer.

I am trying to make clouds that are pretty much volumetric, but I know that even if I could do that, it would probably be too expensive.

I tried a few methods in UT3 using custom cloud meshes, which were just additive wisps of cloud (material) mapped to intersecting squares in a random formation.... but it looked horrible up close.

Then, I tried fog volumes contained in a cloud-shaped mesh. They looked pretty good, except that they were static and I couldn't move them...

I need to be able to have these clouds look like they are being pushed by the wind and have the player move through them.

Does anyone have an idea of how I may be able to accomplish this?

Crysis uses 2d sprites that always face the view, at least it seems so. So you could try a similar approach. Though I don't know if you can tell the engine to render something in that way.

Comment

Yea it is possible with cascade

Comment

Doesn't VCTF-Sandstorm have what you want? A moving cloud?

Comment

The common approach is indeed to use screen-facing 2d sprites in a clever particle system.

VCTF Sandstorm doesn't really have a volumetric effect, it's just smoke and mirrors.

Comment

I guess I could do particles, but I was just hoping to avoid that if I could. When they "cut" into terrain or meshes, they look a little goofy and fake.

Oh well, I can get this to work in cascade if I shape the clouds right I think.

Thanks

Comment

There are solutions to particles cutting into objects. Most (if not all) volumetric cloud effects are done using particles of some description.

Comment

Care to elaborate please? lol

Comment

Might wanna check this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DepthBiasBlendUsage.html

Comment

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UT3_Cloud_Shadows.html Check this tutorial.

Comment

Not to be rude Lipton, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand

Comment

Still a pretty awesome effect though...

Comment

Working...
                        X