Using UDK with Mastering Unreal Technology Volume II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using UDK with Mastering Unreal Technology Volume II

I'm reading the Mastering Unreal Technology Volume II: Advanced Level Design Concepts with Unreal Engine 3. I'm using the February 2010 UDK Beta.

I'm having all kinds of problems in Chapter 4. Here is a list of what I've seen. Some of these problems look like bugs. Some look like errors in the book or differences between the UT3 and the UDK.

1. Tutorial 4.1: Creating a basic physics simulation. It does not work. The rigid body does not move.

2. Tutorial 4.2: Number 3 says to set the DrawScale3D Y and Z to 4.0. It wrong. Make them 5.0.

3. Tutorial 4.3: Number 10 says to drag a line from the Spawned variable link of the Actor Factory to the Object Variable named SpawnedChip, which is also linked to the Change Collision sequence action. Note that the map won't build unless you assign the static mesh, sm_plinko_chip, to the Object Variable as well.

4. Tutorial 4.4: Number 1 says to select SK_CH_BaseMale_Physics PhysicsAsset located in the Generic Browser under the HC_AnimHuman package. You won't find this PhysicsAsset in the UDK. But you will find Content/Characters/CH_AnimCorrupt/SK_CH_Corrupt_Male_Physics. You can use that asset.

5. Tutorial 4.10: Ragdoll Swing Constraints - Joint Constraint Bone properties need to touch both Actors.

a. RB_BSJointActor_0: Set Constraint Bone 2 Property to Bone08. The book says to set it to Bone01, but when I do this, the rope falls into the pool. So set it to Bone08.

b. RB_BSJointActor_1: Set Constraint Bone 1 Property to Bone01. Set Constraint Bone 2 Property to Bone08.

c. RB_BSJointActor_2: Set Constraint Bone 1 Property to Bone01. Set Constraint Bone 2 Property to Bone08.

d. RB_BSJointActor_3: Set Constraint Bone 1 Property to Bone01. Set Constraint Bone 2 Property to b_LeftHand. Lft_Hand does not exist in the physics asset, KAsset_0.

e. Problem with the UDK: It doesn't want to remember the property settings, such as Collision: Block-All. Every time I look at a RB_BSJointActor's properties, the collision is set to none. This is annoying.

f. Another problem with the UDK or the book: The pawn falls through the bridge as soon as he steps on it.

6. Tutorial 4.14: Launch the AnimSet Editor. The flag pole is displayed. But no method exists to lower the origin so you can actually see the flag. You can move the camera down and look up at the flag, however. It doesn't look like the scale buttons work either.

I'll continue to post my results as I read the remaining chapters of the book.

Rob

I downloaded UT3 and ran the editor that comes with that program against the maps and packages in the book. The book's maps and packages work in the standard development environment. So all of the problems I'm experiencing are with the UDK.

Comment

You're encountering problems because the tutorials are geared towards a version of the editor and engine that's over two years older (getting on for three) than the one you are currently using, so there are marked differences in how some things work. These aren't 'problems with UDK', or 'problems with the book' - you're using the wrong tool for the job (consider trying to put a screw into the wall with a hammer?).

Anyway I'm no expert with the changes in physics actors between versions, but with 1) it sounds like your rigid body is sleeping when the game begins. There should be a property like a checkbox to tell it to 'wake on level start' or something similar. This is actually the same as UT3.

Comment

That switch is on. The book does tell you to turn that switch on.

Comment

I know this is a year old but my level design class had a lot of trouble with this chapter. The solution to the first problem is to check the Enable Per Poly Collision box under LOD info in the crate's properties.

Comment

The first volume of Mastering Unreal worked well with the UDK editor, only slight differences easy to adapt. I am 3/4 through it and learnt a lot. Will be going back over some sections.

I have seen reviews (sorry 1 review) stating that in this second volume.. that way too many things will not work in UDK (even 2009, 2010 versions,but currently Im happy using 2009 , will upgrade to 2011 in awhile)

Ok so just after any opinions as I feel I'd get something out of Vol II whatever problems it has with UDK ?

Comment

Working...
            X