Material Editor: Decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material Editor: Decals?

I have been trying to make a decal of bricks showing thru an adobe outerlayer by making the bricks the decal(this may not be the best way to go about this but it is simply an exercise to learn). The ideal use is for BSP buildings that are not tesselated enough to vertex paint, and I want to give it a grungy look.

I went thru Hourences decal tut to place a logo with the white ending up being the tranparent part. I failed at replacing that with my black and white mask.

I also found another tut but can't remember by whom or where. The black in that tut was the transparent part, but when I try it, the black parts shows up on the BSP(not transparent) and the white shows my bricks(as intended).

I even cut and replaced the decal black and white texture sample mask in the standard UDK decals. Still failed. This tells me that using my custom black and white texture sample is the problem. As simple as they are, I have been using windows paint(lol) for this.

Is there something Im missing? Should I be using something else to make the black and white texture sample?

In the previous engine versions (UT3) the transparency mask was defined by a single/constant color value == 1,1,1. You can use any kind of transparency mask (pink, black, white etc) and convert it to the valid format (1,1,1) using material expressions.

Comment

Thanks mslaf,

I understand what you have said, meaning I know how to use the functions, I will try that when I get back home, but Im still puzzled.

I have tried opening up a decal that came with the UDK, a decal that works fine, and I simply replaced the original mask texture sample with one of my own. The original was black and white, with black being the transparent part. My original texture was black and white. The only difference between the 2 was the shape within the texture sample. The end result between the 2 is different. The UDK Original works fine, but If I simply replace the original transparent mask with that of my own, it doesn't work.

Is it that my black and white sample is possibly one off and UDK material editor needs a definative number to properly mask? Taking note that the colors really don't matter as I understand you.

Comment

Originally posted by BoddieBagger View Post
        I have tried opening up a decal that came with the UDK, a decal that works fine, and I simply replaced the original mask texture sample with one of my own.
        Which one?

Comment

Bio_Splat_Decal is the one im substituting mine into. I replaced the sample textures in Decal_1 and Decal_2 groups in the material editor, updated it and not getting the results I want. Actually the original isnt white on black now that im home to look at it. One is a shade of grey. Still, in my mind, im thinking it should work properly.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Comment

Have you noticed that those textures have an alpha channel that contains transparency mask? Do your textures have the same?

Comment

Well I just created an alpha channel and reimported it. Same results. The texture properties is all the same except the UDK texture is format DXT5 and mine is DXT1. I don't know what that means so I will go look it up and see if I can get some where with that.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks mslaf, for taking the time. I changed a few things up and figured it out. Now I have to go back thru all of it to isolate what was preventing me from doing this. Still not understanding the difference between DXT5 and 1. My texture is still DXT1 and working properly. From what im understanding is to have an alpha you need DXT5. Im not sure if thats correct. Back to google! Thanks mslaf, kudos to you.

Comment

DTX1 == 3 color channels: RGB - no alpha channel.
                  DTX5 == 4 color channels: RGB and alpha channel.

If you enable the "compression no alpha?" checkbox, texture will be compressed using DTX1. Otherwise and if it has an alpha channel, it will be compressed using DTX5. You can modify this setting in texture properties.

Comment

Working...
                  X