Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmass question... [Issue solved]

This is a pic from a simple test.

After building the lighting I noticed that each side of each wall is not affected the same way by lightmass.
    The front side appears brighter while the back side appears a bit darker and... No it's not caused by the shadow.... lol...
    For example look at those 2 wall meshes......
    If I turn the right wall from the other side and build lightmass its color would get similar to the left wall... As if there are no secondary UVs Weird.
    I used UDK to generate UVs for the lightmass not Max, could that be the reason for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

[SHOT]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7296/91906634.jpg[/SHOT]

This shot might make my question a bit more clear since I see no replies yet...
    This time I used Max to generate the secondary UV channel for lightmass to be applied.
    The same static mesh with an 180 deg difference from each other and with lightmass built:
    [SHOT]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/419/77949200.jpg[/SHOT]

Obviously one side of these walls is not affected by ightmass, although the arc seems to be shaded fine.
    Any ideas/suggestions?

Comment

If you rotate both meshes 180 degrees and take a screenshot from the same position would the right mesh be still more saturated (yellow/orangy) or would then the left be more saturated?
      Check if the secondary UV channel is "unique" - probably is, but just in case.
      Try to rotate the skybox a bit or fully 180 deg - will probably not do anything, but then again...
      Try to rebuild without (using vertex lightning) and with overriding the lightmaps, try different lightmap resolutions.
      One thing is sure if everything is in order the issue is weird.

Comment

Well if both statics meet the same side the shading is the same.
        As if the normal map is not affected the front side but only the back one lol... Quite weird indeed.
        The only difference compared to my other statics is that I tilled the wall texture x2 in its material cause blocks were appearing way too large. But both normal map and diffuse texture are tilled by a common texture cord so the problem shouldn't be that. It wouldn't appear in this state and only after lightmass anyway but rather as a wrong placed normal map.
        Skybox doesn't seem to be affecting the scene in any way and I used channel 2 for a full "flatten" non-overlaping uv map for lightmass.
        The more I investigate this the more I think that something is wrong with this specific normal map but I can't really figure what that could be. :0\
        The only thing I haven't tried yet is to apply a different material so, back to testing.

Comment

Okay, problem solved... It seems that for some odd reason the lightmass UVs were also adapted by texture's UVs... So each side was using different part of the same texture.
          Once that was fixed lightmass worked like a charm.

Comment

Hi ThePriest909, can you explain how you fixed you issue please ?
            I think I have a similar problem.

Comment

Hi Ziboo.
              Well, the problem was actually my doing... It came with the way I did the unwrapping in max. (Hell I really hate UV mapping ;0\).
              I applied "fllaten mapping" on texture's UV channel instead of Lighting UVs (That should become a lesson to me, not to work after 00.00 am on 3d modeling lol) on the second channel so, each side of the wall was using a different part of a common texture that as it seems had different normal map depth. So I went back to max and I tweaked texture's UVs so that each side would use the same surface (overlapping).
              Just make sure not to overlap the lighting channel/s but only texture's UVs.

Comment

What are you calling Lighting UVs ?
                Can you post a screen of both UVs please ?

Thank you, I don't think it will resolve my issue, but always good to see how others fix there issues

Comment

Each mesh should have 2 UV channels. One for textures and one for Lightmass to work.
                  This page might help:
                  http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmap.htm

Comment

Ok, yeah I knew that, and did that.
                    But I still have strange shadow
                    Well, thanks for you help anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X