Why Udk , why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Udk , why ?

This is a thread for venting or ranting about curious design decisions, ui weirdness, odd impilmentations or anything else that irks you regarding the udk level editor.

So ill start off with:

Why does udk insist on finishing the export of geometry or whatever to lightmass even when you tell it to stop the lighting build? On slower systems, as in my own currently, its taking 12 minutes and counting to stop the map build even though I tried to stop it as soon as it began. It should cease doing anything as soon as I click stop map build, so that I can get back to what I was doing.

This brings up a question. Is there a way to set the default lighting to not have use lightmass checked? it never remembers that I unclick this and always insists on using lightmass. So often I will accidentally hit build lighting and then poof I have to wait for god knows how long for it to stop exporting things.

Bah!

Knowledge gains progress...

In other words, since you know some things that annoy you, do not build with lightmass enabled again, if you are not wanting lightmass to be calculated during build.

UDK (and thus UE3) has a certain pipeline, follow it to the word, if you step out of the pipeline process, you're likely to stumble into problems.

Same counts for all complex applications. (e.g. other engines)

Comment

i guess another thing i learned that annoys me is when people post messages in reply to a thread where they dont actually say anything at all. hmm where is the button on the forums to turn that off !

in other words :

reading comprehension, you fail.

Comment

I know how you feel...forums often don´t help much or say " use the search funktion" , well for some really serious questions that could easy to answer they would not, and also some threads are not to find like mine where a person asked about Sky and DoF, well whatever, i hope no one gets angry ...you know you sound angry, this will not help you ether.

And if you don´t mind, i haven´t understand your Problem can you explain it easier for me perhaps i can help you

EDIT: Ah i see, you System is not stoppable to build lighting, yeah i know this Problem...Well this is not the Problem of UDK, the Progress is to heavy and your PC will work on and on, i will give you this as help: Modify your Lightmass Agent and make the Priority under normal....Since i put it above normal my PC will also not react of Stopping it...XD
        Post you a screen hope it helps

one other thing, i did not notice how big this massive Calculating can be...for me i got bad results because i did not use Lightmass importance Volumes...And for some tip, you said your PC is slower, i have only one, but it gets only more effective with renderfarming....This means connecting PCs together so they have the Power to render extrem scenes with Lightmass.
        If you PC is too slow let someone other Render your Map this could help...

greet Xandrea

Comment

In the level world properties, uncheck the 'use global illumination' box

Comment

Thats not the solution....I do not like these easy answers because i really know much of this easier answers help but it also reduces possibilities.....

And this problem could be solved....

Comment

hey thanks for these tips guys, i was indeed a little frustrated, i felt silly but i had to say something Just Once

I will try this stuff out.

btw the other point of this thread was for people to post things about udk that they find well, how should i put this "not implemented in the most optimal way" i am curious what other faults people find in udk. some faults maybe just people wanting too much, or not knowing enough about udk. but i am sure there are a lot of things about udk, simple things that just weren't done right? as saymoo said its a complex piece of software, and most complex software has at least a few pinheaded implementations in it.

Comment

Socket Manager

The Socket manager is ******* me off. Why go to all the trouble off creating it....and not be able to attach something to a socket? You can "preview" how something will look attached to it...but you can't actually do it. You have to spend hours looking for code that "might" be relative to attaching something to it (depending on what type of object) then find the right script and the right location in that script to enter it.

I still haven't found the right code to attach a destroyable window (fractured static mesh) to a vehicle. It would be so much easier to do it visually in the Socket Manager

Comment

Originally posted by planaria View Post
                  i guess another thing i learned that annoys me is when people post messages in reply to a thread where they dont actually say anything at all. hmm where is the button on the forums to turn that off !

in other words :

reading comprehension, you fail.
                  Since it isn't a question you posted, but more a RANT and ventilation attempt. Thus i respond to that. They where retorical questions, to backup your ventilating rant post. (you said so yourself (read your own post again)

If however you want serious help, next time do not post rants (like you did here, and said so inside the post), but a constructive question, problem scenario.

Comment

hah i also find the socket thing kindof a tease also.. its sooo easy.. but its just visualization B A H H H

Comment

Working...
                    X