Navigation Meshes & Terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigation Meshes & Terrain

Do navigation meshes only generate using BSP? I can't seem to get the mesh to generate for a map that's purely terrain and static meshes.

I'm curious about this as well.

Comment

NO

IM using solely static meshes and works fine. Just place in pylons , scale them to cover the area needed and run "rebuild Paths"

need to code your AI to use nav meshes tho

-LW

Comment

I got my meshes to show on terrain. How are you trying to build your paths?

Comment

Hmm, I'm a little puzzled then. I can't seem to get the pylons to build any navigation meshes so I must be doing something wrong. I dropped the pylons in the map and then did the usual "Build AI Paths"... but no mesh showed up. Is there some other way I should be doing this?

I've already coded my AI to use both NavMeshes and pathnodes (giving NavMeshes priority), so that's not an issue.

Comment

Have you set paths visibility? Have you done a full build?

Comment

Arg! I toggled path visibility on and off, node paths showed up just fine. Then when I added the pylon and rebuilt paths, the node paths disappeared (can't have both I guess?). However, the pylon's NavMesh didn't appear either. I started a new map and did the same tests (Additive with some simple bsp). Path nodes worked fine. Added pylon... path nodes stopped working BUT the pylon's NavMesh showed up! It seems like there's something in my map that's preventing pylons from working...

Comment

Try to remove everything relating to pathing in your map and redo only with navigation meshes. Make a backup though.

Comment

Dang, i removed all navigation points whatsoever and then added a pylon... and nothing! It doesn't work in any of my maps ported from UT3 or earlier UDK builds. I even tried deleting everything in those maps and then adding bsp/pylons and to no avail. It's kind of frustrating, but thanks for your help!

Comment

Have you tried changing the properties of the pylon?

Comment

There's not a whole lot to mess with (basically just radius and the navigation point properties), but I did try adjusting them with no luck.

Comment

Funny. It seems I can't get the pylons to work on terrain either. They worked just fine in the first UDK build (November 1 and 2) unless I've been dreaming... Perhaps the devs have information on this? :S

Comment

Bump. Fixed it, sort of. You can't seemingly use the Expansion Radius generation anymore, but the Expansion Volume works instead. Just make an Expansion Volume for your Pylon to generate in and it will happily create navigation meshes for you.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Comment

I am having the same issue, how do you create an expansion volume?

Comment

Working...
                              X